Toning up pecs using incline/flat bench & dumbells

Options
Hi I'm looking to do some toning and on the pecs and was looking for some suggested exercises using the above equipment. Also looking for recommendations on sets/reps. Thanks

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Well you won't "tone" but you can add muscle mass then cut fat to increase definition.

Obviously flat/incline DBell press, the flat/incline Dbell flies. Say 2 compound movements and an isolation. So 2 presses and a fly of your choice. 3-4 sets per movements 8-12 reps, on flies I like to go more 12-18 in order to really stretch and activate the fibres. But your choice. Really focus on the contraction of your pecs though if you really want to see results, plus take your time in the decentric part of the movement, don't just let the weight drop
  • Riff1970
    Riff1970 Posts: 136 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    ^^^^^^ What he said.

For a little variety, I've been doing one heavy day and one light day.

Heavy day is flat bench for 3 or 4 sets, 3-5 reps and incline Dumbell for about the same.

Light day I'll do incline bench 2 or 3 sets, 8-15 reps and flat Dumbell for about the same.

Then throw in a fly or a crossover last.

It keeps it interesting.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    You can tone and build your pecs just doing plank pushups and dips. Add a weighted vest if you want to make them both more difficult

I do 5x10 of both as part of a 6 station circuit which also includes sissy squats, GHRs, curls and reverse curls.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    just a recommendation be sure and also work your shoulders and back, triceps, lats, abs etc. They all work together, and with stronger back and shoulders and tris you'll be able to bench more so you can get those pecs you want. With your dumbbells you can do all kinds of rows, tricep exercises, also overhead press, etc and if you can find somewhere to do pullups, do them also
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the tips everyone!
  • powered85
    Options
    One other question: how many days per week should I start with these? Was thinking 2x but is it worth considering more?

Thanks
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »
    One other question: how many days per week should I start with these? Was thinking 2x but is it worth considering more?

Thanks

Most people tend to do 1-2 days per week per muscle group. It really depends on HOW much time you want to put into the gym, and how much recovery time you need. Beginners probably want to stick to 1 day per group per week.

I just transitioned from a 4 day bodybuilding routine, to a 3 day strength training routine. I find 3 days to be much more enjoyable than 4.

Before I was doing:
    Legs-Tuesday
    Chest-Wednesday
    Back-Friday
    Bis/Tris/Shoulders-Saturday
  • powered85
    Options
    Thanks again for the tips. Starting added some of these exercises into my routine and noticing improvements already!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Good to hear! Keep it up.