Vacation Inspiration

Options
I got this from www.MyEatSmartMoveMore.com an email that receive great tip from weekly. I thought it was great and wanted to share it with everybody. :flowerforyou:

Vacation Inspiration

Its vacation time! Many of us look forward to this time of year. It is a time to break away from the stresses of home and work and head out for some fun. No matter if it is a honeymoon, family or class reunion or just a family getaway, vacations are times when we let go of the daily grind and feel free to just relax.

Just because you want to relax doesn't mean that you have to abandon your fitness and diet regimen. I concur with Julie Bishop who said, "I believe that the best buy in public health today must be a combination of regular physical exercise and a healthy diet." Use vacation as a time to explore new healthful foods and exercises that you otherwise might not try. There are healthy choices at most sit-down restaurants.

Experiment a little. Maybe try some grilled or blackened fish with mango salsa or lobster. There are ways to treat yourself other than the dessert menu. Also, take advantage of any exercise classes that may be offered where you are staying. Many health clubs offer very reasonable rates for daily or weekly passes so check with the desk of your hotel.

If you stay somewhere that has a pool, you have a workout readily available. When you take the kids for a dip, work in a few laps as they splash around, you'll get family time and exercise rolled into one. Also many hotels have workout rooms for guests.

Another way to stick to the healthy lifestyle you've been diligently working on is to pack snacks for travel. One problem many of us run into is being so hungry that we'll eat anything we can get our hands on. This can mean all kinds of junk food. Instead of mindlessly cramming yourself with gobs of fats and calories, try packing some fresh fruit, water, or whole wheat crackers, and crunchy vegetables.

If you're willing to pack a small cooler, the possibilities are almost endless. Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread, low fat cheese, or vegetables with light ranch dressing are all great options that fit easily in a cooler. Even if the snacks aren't quite what you're looking for at that particular moment, you will at least know how many calories you are consuming and may help even out splurging at dinner if you give in to temptation. In addition, when you have snacks with you there's no waiting in line or paying expensive airport and quick-stop prices.

For those of you who want to vacation without the worry of sabotaging your diet and exercise program, there are vacation destinations designed just for you. Fitness cruises, weight loss camps and spa retreats are all designed to help you have a wellness-centered vacation. These destinations aren't just filled with exercise class after exercise class; there are usually classes, trips, spa services and spa meals. Ladies it's the kind of vacation you will enjoy with a few of your closest girlfriends!

There are a number of things that you can do to make your vacation enjoyable without destroying all your efforts toward living a healthy lifestyle. Remember that what you eat on vacation may haunt you when you get home. Don't deprive yourself, but rather practice moderation and make informed choices.

Thoughts to ponder:

"Vacation used to be a luxury, however, in today's world, it has become a necessity." ~ Unknown

"A vacation frequently means that the family goes away for a rest, accompanied by a mother who sees that the others get it." ~ Marcelene Cox

Christine Smith, M.S., is an Extension Agent in the department of Family & Consumer Sciences with NC Cooperative Extension, NCSU, Wayne County. Information on other services available can be found online at http://wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/or call me at 731-1525 for additional information.

Eat Smart, Move More NC is a statewide movement that promotes opportunity for healthy eating and physical activity wherever people live, learn, earn, play and pray.

Find out more at www.MyEatSmartMoveMore.com.

Replies

• baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Thanks Earlie! I especially love this tip: "If you're willing to pack a small cooler, the possibilities are almost endless. Turkey sandwiches on whole wheat bread, low fat cheese, or vegetables with light ranch dressing are all great options that fit easily in a cooler. Even if the snacks aren't quite what you're looking for at that particular moment, you will at least know how many calories you are consuming and may help even out splurging at dinner if you give in to temptation. In addition, when you have snacks with you there's no waiting in line or paying expensive airport and quick-stop prices."
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, it has some great tips.

I went to Destin the week before last to lay on the beach for a whole week, came home dreading to see how I did and I lost 2 lbs.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    They did a Eat Smart, Move More campaign where i work last year and I lost 16 lbs...unfortunately I gained it all back plus some this year due to laziness. I have no other excuse...lol!!!
  • onyxlibra7
    onyxlibra7 Posts: 93
    Options
    Thnx Earlie!! =)
  • greeneyes82
    greeneyes82 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Great reading! Wish I'd seen this before we went to the beach, but I lost that couple of pounds I gained!