10 lbs left to lose/ want to gain muscle

Options
I have recently lost about 70 pounds, and while I'm thrilled about it, I desperately need to tone. I have been doing intense cardio along with Zumba and within the last month I've added bodypump classes three days a week to really help tone my body. On days that I exercise, especially when I lift or do bodypump, I am starving! I especially crave carbs

I am a 23 year old 5'11" female and I eat between 1200-1500 calories a day no matter my exercise. Should I go to maintenance calories to build muscle and then cut later or continue what I've been doing? I've researched online, but it's all left me confused. Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    You could try eating slightly below maintenance, maybe about 250 deficit, and lift progressively. Some good beginning plans are Stronglifts, strong curves, ice cream fitness, new rules of lifting, etc...It kind of depends on how much fat you still have to lose. Your body can use some of that fat for energy to build muscle while you are in a deficit, but as you lose that extra fat, you move to recomposition. Basically, eat at maintenance, lose fat, build muscle, stay same weight. But this would be closer to your goal weight and works more slowly.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well with 10 pounds left to lose you could continue with your current weight loss rate, start a progressive resistance program to help retain muscle, then once you hit your goal weight you could either do a bulk, (this doesnt mean youll get bulky just gain muscle) where you eat a calorie surplus to build muscle, or you could do a recomp (which the above user suggested, but like they said this is a slow prossess).

If you start bulk/cut cycles, you would eat a small calorie surplus (say 250 calories) and build muscle. This is a fast way to build muscle because really building muscle requires calorie surplus. The only thing to be mindful with this is that some fat will come with that added muscle. Thats why you would do a cut after youve reached the muscle mass you want. During the cut you would do a small calorie deficit, continue lifting hard and hopefully shed the fat you gained during your bulk while retaining all the muscle.

Congrats on the weight loss btw, very impressive! I think you could do either method but 2 important things no matter what will be, starting a good lifting program (either using free weights and compound lifts or a good body weight program) and getting adequate protien (personally i think 1 gram per pound of LEAN body weight is a good amount). Also nothingbwrong eith craving carbs! Esp when youre lifting, carbs can really help you push yourself, when im not eating a deficit i would always eat oat meal and a banana before i lifted and thatd help keep me energized.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Your Macro's are Great congrats!! You need to lift heavier to put on muscle the body must need to grow to actually grow. Like I said your diet is great now lift heavy so your body adapts and grows some muscle. A mini bulk might help some so just throw in a 100 calories of anything to start and see where it takes you for six weeks.

My 2 cents and congrats on the weight loss.