I weigh more than SW but losing SO many inches?

Options
I started working out the first week of June, and within two weeks, I'd lost around six lbs. As of right now, I've gone two lbs over my starting weight, but I've lost so many inches; it's crazy.
I know the scale shouldn't be a top priority, but the weight I'm at isn't a healthy weight. I'm about 12 lbs overweight give or take, and I don't want the scale to keep going up. I'm 5'8.75 and weigh 182 lbs.
Eh, I guess my question is whether this is muscle? I mean, I've been doing C25K (redoing week 6) and VERY little strength workouts, so I don't know how much that's affecting my body.
Sorry if this question's a little confusing or pointless. Oh, and I know this question's been asked before, but none of them relate to me exactly as to what I've read.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not muscle, 6lbs of muscle is hard to gain in a year, nevermind a month. I'm not sure why the scale would be moving UP for you, maybe someone else can offer their thoughts....
  • beckyboooo87
    beckyboooo87 Posts: 366
    Options
    im in the same boat, i started working out for around two months now, i lost some weight in first few weeks and then nothing for about 3 weeks now, but ive lost few inches.. so yeah i would think its just gaining muscle :) and your losing fat
  • wideeyedla
    wideeyedla Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Might just be redistribution, which is still good. Do you take a rest day from workouts? Weigh yourself after a rest day. Less water retention.
    Inches off = success. The scale catches up eventually.
    When I am meeting food and workout goals and it isn't reflected when I weigh in, I remind myself that the scale lies sometimes, and to pay attention to how I look, what the measuring tape/clothing say, and most importantly how I feel.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out let me know! I'm same height, same weight (ish) and have always had the same issue. When I start working out and watching my calories, my weight goes up. I definitely tone up at the same time, but I understand it getting discouraging when the weight doesn't move. Don't know if this applies to you, but here's what I've noticed. I've always been pretty strong, and pretty athletic (great cardiovascular endurance, even when I haven't worked on it in years.) I went through P90X last summer running doubles and didn't lose a pound. I toned up great, but I was still coming in almost 20lbs over what's supposed to be a healthy weight, and I could still see the fat on me over the muscle tone. What I'm trying is this, I'm netting 1500, which is well under what I could eat, but enough that I haven't had any hunger or craving issues so far. I'm doing a 30 minute run every day at around 5mph and working on ramping up my speed. I'm alternating heavy lifting on a three day rotation, upper body, lower body, abs. I'm breaking today because I could feel my body starting to wear down during my workout yesterday, but tomorrow I'll be back at it. Basically, I've just decided my metablism needs a solid kick in the pants to make it ramp up again. When I was playing lacrosse in college, I never had an issue with weight. Now, at 32 I'm trying to figure out how to SAFELY get myself back to that level of fitness.... We'll see if it works.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't gain muscle that quickly, eating in a deficit you likely won't gain muscle at all. You may be storing extra water for muscle repair but doing cardio doesn't really require a lot of that either.

Are you weighing and measuring food? Logging everything? Being honest with your exercise calories and not eating every one back? The most likely reason for gaining rather than losing is either under estimating food eaten or over estimating exercise burn.