Greek Yoghurt vs Skimmed Milk

Options
So I am really making an effort to make healthy changes and have been for the last month (-9 lbs just with cutting out crap food and I've just joined the gym). Can anyone tell me what the difference between greek yoghurt/natural yoghurt and milk is? I always thought having the yoghurt with granola was better than milk but doesn't look much different on MFP.. If milk is just as good, i'll just stick to that.

Hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help! :smile: thanks in advance and feel free to add me to support each other :smiley:

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,801 MFP Moderator
    Options
    In a nutshell, eat what you prefer. Nutritionally Greek yogurt is going to have a few more calories and fat than skimmed milk, and it's made with those bacteria everyone claims are so good for you. The extra calories and fat can help you feel full for longer. Personally I find skimmed milk flavorless and like water, but I don't mind the 2% or full-fat versions. I like yogurt with my granola, but milk with other types of cereals.

Some people with dairy issues find full-fat milks are easier to digest and make them less gassy. If you really want the details on the differences, here's an article I found about the yogurts: http://foodwatch.com.au/blog/healthy-eating-for-wellness/item/q-what-is-the-difference-between-greek-yoghurt-and-natural-yoghurt.html

If you like skimmed milk with your granola, it's certainly not "crap food" so feel free to keep eating it. :) However, double-check the food label of your granola. A lot of people think granola is healthy but sometimes it is loaded with sugar and not much better nutritionally than a bowl of fruit loops. ;)

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Well, for one thing the whey is removed from greek yogurt, so people sensitive to whey can actually eat greek yogurt without issue.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Most Greek yogurts have almost double the protein content of regular milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    If you have a strong taste preference, go with that, it doesn't matter much.

For me, greek yogurt is tastier and more filling than milk, so I don't drink milk much but do consume yogurt. A good part of that is that foods I eat are more satiating for me than foods I drink and that I really enjoy greek yogurt (specifically Fage plain, 0% or sometimes 2%) with fruit or even as a dip/side with veg and meat.

For me the macros in the yogurt are better since I usually add dairy for the protein, as well as the taste. 90 calories of skim milk has 13 g carbs, 8 g protein, whereas 90 calories of the Fage has 6 carbs, 16 g of protein.

Also, there are presumably some benefits of the live cultures in yogurt, but I've never really researched that or noticed a real effect.
  • RogerToo
    RogerToo Posts: 16,157 Member
    Options
    lorah1911 wrote: »
    So I am really making an effort to make healthy changes and have been for the last month (-9 lbs just with cutting out crap food and I've just joined the gym). Can anyone tell me what the difference between Greek yogurt/natural yogurt and milk is? I always thought having the yogurt with granola was better than milk but doesn't look much different on MFP.. If milk is just as good, I'll just stick to that.

Hoping someone with more knowledge than me can help! :smile: thanks in advance and feel free to add me to support each other :smiley:

Hi
    FWIW I am working at Maintenance myself, so far so good :)
    I use 1% Milk or 2% milk of the Dollar store is out of the 1%, I like their UHT milk that I can put on the shelf until I need it, However I digress.

I use 4 to 4.5 ounces of milk on my Breakfast Cereal and then I usually had a Light & Fit Greek Yogurt with Lunch and another one with Dinner. They have more than enough flavors and are tasty enough that I use them as the dessert with Lunch and Dinner :)

Good Luck Maintaining
    Roger
  • MoonKat7
    MoonKat7 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    All garbage full with growth hormones which raises the estrogen in the body and causes medical problems for both men and women.
    All have hidden sugar as a filler specially the skimmed milk, the less fat the more sugar so it will have the creamy feeling. It's best to avoid it if you can.
    Don't replace it with Soy, it does the same thing with estrogen.

How do I know all this, I've studied nutrition at school, the choice is yours :)
  • lorah1911
    lorah1911 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) I will use up my yoghurt and head back to milk as it seems it's six and half a dozen. xxx