Runners who exp shin splints/calf issues

Options
Hello All, I used to enjoy running for many years but since I've gained weight (25 pounds over weight) and attempted to start again I have been plauged with lower leg pain. Basically, I can't run for more than 5-9min without having to stop due to the pain. It's mostly ankle/ shin splints and tight calves. I am curious how long it took your body to adapt? I am using appropriate shoes (also use compression socks). I have been at it about a month with no improvement and there is no difference if it's flat terrain or rolling hills. Thanks!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    first of all, genuine shin splints are a result of overuse.

It sounds to me like you are doing one or a combination of the following:
    1.) not stretching
    2.) not releasing trigger points or performing any kind of SMR
    3.) running with poor technique (which is easier if said muscle is tight and full of adhesions)
    4.) trying to do too much too fast

So, some things you might want to do.
    Stretch, perform SMR (i like a stick for shins and calves), slow down, take it easier, and work your way up slowly.
  • acdacd
    acdacd Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stretch before and after and use a foam roller-- I am not new to running. I have proper foot strike as well so it's def not running form. Also, it's not too much too fast as I can't run more than 5-10 min which is not overdoing it,lol. I never had issues until I gained weight so I know it's due to stress. I am just curious how long it took other folks body to adapt to the added weight and stress.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I understand that you are new to running, but are you new to running at your current weight? The length of time is gonna vary. Albeit as long as you do not have true shin splints, and this is a weight issue only, it will only get better as you lose weight.

To avoid getting real shin splints or other running injuries, running in any kind of pain is a bad idea, I have been running at 17 pounds heavier than I am now, but not 25 pounds. My shoes in the beginning were expensive and great shoes but were not equipped to handle me and my weight and they way I ran. I know you said you have good running shoes, did you have your gait tested? Also have you considered some strength training to build up your legs and calve muscles?
  • acdacd
    Options
    Yea, it's definitely another beast running overweight. I have been weight training for the past year and do include leg day but I clearly still have muscle weakness so maybe I'll switch the frequency.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    acdacd wrote: »
    Yea, it's definitely another beast running overweight. I have been weight training for the past year and do include leg day but I clearly still have muscle weakness so maybe I'll switch the frequency.

Yeah.. You can do just body weight training in the legs and calves. Strength training to be honest has made a wold of difference in my legs and being able to handle all the running load I put on them. You can also try doing dynamic stretching to. I do not do static stretches before a run. Maybe experiment on a warm up routine as you are getting into this again. It can only help your progress. The more weight you lose, the more you keep at it, the better you will get! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to shin splints if I walk on 1. pavement 2. in bad shoes. You said you have the shoe thing under control, so I'm wondering what kind of surface are you running on and if you can switch to something softer like a trail in the woods or a running track.
  • acdacd
    Options
    Thanks @RoxieDawn . I can't wait to trim down so that my running can improve !

@kshama2001, I run mostly on trails but switch it up and run on concrete. Both hurt.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    first of all, genuine shin splints are a result of overuse.

It sounds to me like you are doing one or a combination of the following:
    1.) not stretching
    2.) not releasing trigger points or performing any kind of SMR
    3.) running with poor technique (which is easier if said muscle is tight and full of adhesions)
    4.) trying to do too much too fast

So, some things you might want to do.
    Stretch, perform SMR (i like a stick for shins and calves), slow down, take it easier, and work your way up slowly.

^^ This for sure!!

• pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I stretch before and after and use a foam roller-- I am not new to running. I have proper foot strike as well so it's def not running form. Also, it's not too much too fast as I can't run more than 5-10 min which is not overdoing it,lol. I never had issues until I gained weight so I know it's due to stress. I am just curious how long it took other folks body to adapt to the added weight and stress.

So, my personal experience:
    In 2014 I was training for a 25K. I wasn't really a runner before so I followed a novice training plan. About 2 months into training the shin splints started. I kept running through them until they essentially (temporarily) crippled me. I couldn't do anything without pretty severe pain. When it got to the point that I was limping when I walked, I stopped running. Keep in mind I also tried literally every idea out there for helping shin splints. It took about 2 weeks of no running for the pain to start to subside and 2 months until it felt better. I did run the 25k, but it wasn't pretty lol.

After the race I didn’t run regularly until the following training season (same race). I started training again and followed a similar training program. This time though, I had zero problems. I trained hard for 6 months for the race and shaved 45 minutes of my time from the previous year.

The distances from the previous year (up until I got hurt) to this past year weren’t really different. I still did a mix of treadmill, track, paved road, and dirt road. But what did change was I dropped about 25lbs before I started training and another 15 throughout the training season. All signs kinda point to my body not being strong enough to carry that extra 40lbs. If I could go back and start even slower maybe I wouldn’t have ended up with the shin splints.. but who knows.

Like I said, that was my personal experience but if you think about it logically, from the force of the impact of your foot to the ground, it makes sense.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Thanks @RoxieDawn . I can't wait to trim down so that my running can improve !

@kshama2001, I run mostly on trails but switch it up and run on concrete. Both hurt.

Maybe walk until you lose some weight and can run pain-free?
  • Plutodreams
    Plutodreams Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It took my body 2 years or so. Toughed it out. Here i am some 13 years later, with no issues. But it was terrible in the beginning, and I was late teens, early 20's. Also had asthma, running killed that too! There's something to be said for the body's ability to eventually adapt. Ankle supports help, as well as pointing out toes and then pointing them in towards chest with leg stretched out. Do those a lot especially after. Seeing a physical therapist might not be a bad idea.