Suggest some good whey protein for non-body builder.

Options
Hello,

I use EAS soy protein powder but looking online seems soy is not good for health any more. As my daily workout to reduce weight, I walk about 6-7.5 miles and some strength exercise. My diet doesn't provide me enough protein and taking soy protein after my workout makes me feel more energetic and tireless.

I am planning to switch to whey protein but perplexed on the different products available in the market which gives me a feeling that they are mostly used by body-builders.

I was looking at the body-fortress and pure protein powder tubs today at Walmart and at the bottom of it, there was a statement "This is a food supplement. Don't use it for weight reduction." What does that mean?

Replies

• kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't make a body builder. Training makes a body builder. Only massive amounts of hard lifting will bulk you. I use only unflavored whey isolates because I can't stand artificial sweetener. It mixes into everything from chocolate milk to iced tea.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    MTS Whey
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress or Six Star, both whey not soy.

Edit, I've had no trouble losing since adding it. No idea.
    Might be the legal team who had it stamped on there to
    deter lawsuits?
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I use EAS soy protein powder but looking online seems soy is not good for health any more. As my daily workout to reduce weight, I walk about 6-7.5 miles and some strength exercise. My diet doesn't provide me enough protein and taking soy protein after my workout makes me feel more energetic and tireless.

I am planning to switch to whey protein but perplexed on the different products available in the market which gives me a feeling that they are mostly used by body-builders.

I was looking at the body-fortress and pure protein powder tubs today at Walmart and at the bottom of it, there was a statement "This is a food supplement. Don't use it for weight reduction." What does that mean?

I use whey protein as a supplement and I'm losing weight.

I suspect what they mean is that it is not meant to be used as meal replacement.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

It means it has calories. If you take in more calories than you burn you gain weight. You can take any protein supplement and continue to lose weight as long as you count it in your calories and eat at a deficit.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders eat normal human food ya know, just in a different balance to most.

Anyway, just look for the powder that provides you the best $/grams of protein, preferably with low carbs and fat.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Some protein powders are "weight/mass gainers", they are super high in calories because they are meant for serious body builders. The rest of us drink low calorie protein shakes, they have like 150 calories or less.

I did my research, and for me, the best quality/price/taste whey protein I found was whey gourmet. I have the peanut butter chocolate flavour, its amazing. I also have Vega One Vanilla, it's ok but not as delicious as Whey Gourmet. Dynamitze (or something like that) is also suppose to be a good "beginner" protein powder. Bodybuilder.com has some good advice on protein powders, even for non-bodybuilders.
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    MTS Whey

This
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar, I love both the Caribbean Cooler & Chocolate Truffle flavors. Caribbean Cooler is my favorite, as it is Pineapple Coconut. I add some Dasani Pineapple Coconut Water Enhancer with the protein powder in a 32 oz water bottle. It taste delicious! One scoop has 24 grams of whey protein & only 100 calories. The Chocolate flavor I add to skim milk. They both also make delicious smoothie when added to Greek yogurt, milk & frozen fruit. The Nectar brand is the protein supplement most prescribed by bariatric surgeons & dietitians. You can purchase it at The Vitamin Shoppe or online at "The bariatric Pantry." I've tried other brands, but still think the Nectar brands taste the best. They have 12-14 different flavors, so it should be easy to find a flavor you enjoy. A lot of folks seem to like the Fuzzy Navel flavor, but I detest peaches, so stir clear! :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Complete Pro 40: Rich Chocolate Cake. About $50 for a 4 pound tub. 40 grams of protein per serving. Low carb and doesn't taste like SlimFast.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Six Star protein at walmart is decent cheap protein.
  • soccerdog693
    soccerdog693 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I do some lifting but definitely NOT trying to body build - and I LOVE Muscle Milk! I am not a huge meat/nut eater so I have a hard time getting a lot of protein into my diet. This helped me reach my daily macro goals, plus it's delicious!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders eat normal human food ya know, just in a different balance to most.

Anyway, just look for the powder that provides you the best $/grams of protein, preferably with low carbs and fat.

I thought bodybuilders only ate SuperMax2000HolyHellWorkoutXcellerator2000XXX, Now in Cinnamon Toast Crunch flavor?

Personally, I just eat a steak but then again I'm sure I'm missing out.
  • riveroflight
    Options
    I suggest *not using whey protein. The protein is not assimilated or digested as well as with 'cleaner' vegetable sources and there are great options there. Regardless of what the # of grams says on the box, you are not digesting as great a % of it, so yes, vegetable sources will say a lower # of protein grams- don't sweat it. I recommend Botanic Naturals. One of the sources I list on my profile if you want to check it out.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I suggest *not using whey protein. The protein is not assimilated or digested as well as with 'cleaner' vegetable sources and there are great options there. Regardless of what the # of grams says on the box, you are not digesting as great a % of it, so yes, vegetable sources will say a lower # of protein grams- don't sweat it. I recommend Botanic Naturals. One of the sources I list on my profile if you want to check it out.

Holy Necrothread batman!

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

no, you clearly have no idea of what you are talking about
    bioavailability-understanding-protein-absorption-chart.jpg
  • riveroflight
    Options
    The digestibility of whey is an issue..

A question worth considering is how many people are actually allergic to dairy and whey? Officially, that number is only about 1-3%. 'However, when you redefine that number to include anyone who generates extra mucous from eating dairy, suffers from constipation from eating dairy, or feels bloated after eating dairy, you're probably looking at numbers closer to 60-70%. And if you actually expand the number to include anyone who suffers from mild systemic inflammation after eating dairy -- and thus retention of water -- some believe that number approaches 100%.'

The body does not like whey, generally speaking. And, whey proteins often include fillers and chemicals that natural-minded vegetable protein powder companies do not include, that can interfere with digestion, cause bloating, even *blockage*, among other things.

Lastly, people are generally over-concerned with the amount of protein necessary for muscle building and maintenance. The body simply does not need loads and loads of protein, even with a strong workout regimen. In my opinion, natural, vegetable protein suplements are a better choice.