Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New to Biking

2»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    I went the other route, I had a proper bike fitting done first, and then narrowed down my choice of bike by riding preference (long distance audaxing and racing) and searched for the geometry nearest my bikefit and bought a bike online (a Kona Rove Al in my case), then upgraded that in a number of steps. Remember though, a frame that's too large can't be adapted to fit a smaller size, but a smaller size frame relative to your ideal geometry can be adapted with longer stems, saddle position etc.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    lodro wrote: »
    Remember though, a frame that's too large can't be adapted to fit a smaller size

so much this. that first coda of mine was 19.5". i'm 5'4" on a tall day, so only love could have kept me riding it for two years.

love and not knowing any better back then.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Make sure the fitting is right. My husband and I spent money on Trek bikes and after some rides I feel like my bike is too small. I have to put the seat up quite high to get the leg extension I want. I kept telling the bike shop I wanted the same size as my husbands but they insisted on the size I ended up with. It's not horrible to ride, but I like my husbands better.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Thank you !
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited September 2016
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Make sure the fitting is right. My husband and I spent money on Trek bikes and after some rides I feel like my bike is too small. I have to put the seat up quite high to get the leg extension I want. I kept telling the bike shop I wanted the same size as my husbands but they insisted on the size I ended up with. It's not horrible to ride, but I like my husbands better.

Bike sizing isn't so much about leg length (seat height is adjustable on nearly any bike) but more about upper body length and reach to the handlebars.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    ^^^ that. a bike that has you stretched all the time can make you pretty uncomfortable in the long term.
  • gojaqs
    gojaqs Posts: 471 Member
    Whatever you get, get a bike fit done. It's worth the money. They adjust your pedals so your knees are pointing forward, not in or out, the seat height and angle, the length of the post from the handlebars ( you should have a slight elbow bend), etc.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Before dropping $200-$300 on a bike fit, talk to a few season cyclists in your area (local bike/race club) and/or LBS. A general fit will get you in the ball park. Once you are serious about the sport, get a true fit done. For novice, a true bike fit may not be that beneficial as one's body is not accustomed to the demand of the sport. Subtle difference in the body's alignment can make a big change in how you feel on the bike. It's a delicate balancing act between comfort and power delivery, and is subject to change. See https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/01/bike-fitting-philosophy-basic-premise/. If you are luck to be in the same continent, get the fit from Steve Hogg.
  • Timothyh27
    Timothyh27 Posts: 251 Member
    I've got a Giant Hardtail MTB, its as comfortable on road as off road. It was last years model but new. The accessories were more expensive than I had anticipated though. ie, pump, puncture repair kit, water bottle + holder, helmet and cycling clothes.

Best bet is to visit a couple of different bike stores/shops. Independent bike shops (in the uk anyway) are really helpful and knowledgeable. Get measured up too, or work out what size bike you need through leg and arm measurements and height.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Bike being delivered tomorrow. Once I get it , I have scheduled a bike fit. Then it's on!!
  • kcflyer1957
    kcflyer1957 Posts: 6 Member
    I bought a Specialized Diverge...they call it a road bike for people who like to get rowdy. It has the droop handlebars that I find more comfortable for longer rides...many different ways to place your hands for comfort. I also rode it in a "gravel grinder" ride between local wineries on gravel roads. I had a Raleigh "fitness" bike, but as my rides got longer (over 25 miles) my wrists and hands were numb because I could only put my hands in one position. I love my bike.