How do you figure out calories burned?

2»

Replies

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    I use my fitbit, that way it synchs with MFP, and I don't have to wonder too much about calories in/calories out. It's been said that the numbers aren't exactly accurate, but I'd say they are somewhat more accurate than guessing :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I dont know why people get so caught up on calories burned per workout/exercise.

I simply focus on a calorie deficit from food intake. Anything 'burned' through my workouts is a bonus.
    @cgreen120288
    Which is fine if you have a low burn or regular exercise routine.

In summer my exercise calories are about 5000 / week but very variable day to day and week to week.
    Your method would clearly be awful for me. Come winter when I'm not doing 500 - 600 miles of cycling a month my burns drop off a cliff.

That's why context to the individual is important rather than one size fits all solutions.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    I don't know. But since you posted in the maintaining section, perhaps you are in maintenance? If so, you might want to consider TDEE. It simplifies CICO hugely *IF* your activity is consistent week-to-week. If your activity is highly variable, TDEE doesn't apply.

E.g. I do 4 mi cardio 6 days/week. Sometimes sprint intervals, sometimes running, sometimes walking. Mysteriously, online calculators give me about the same calories regardless. I don't know exactly what it is, but over time I have figured 4 miles for me is about 300cal (2 glasses of wine, generous pour). I also do 3x/week weights. The exact activity might be different one day to the next, but I am very, very consistent about getting that in a week. By tracking CI as accurately as I can, it appears my TDEE is 1750 at this level of activity.

Gosh, I wish I were saying this more concisely.... I don't count CO. As long as I stick to my regular weekly exercise, I eat 1750 and it works out.