Dairy issues -- cutting out coffee cream today :( other survivors of this???

Options
:'( due to some issues I am having with my digestive system, I am cutting out my dairy starting today to see if that helps. I drank my coffee black and the world kept spinning...I hope I can keep this up and I hope it HELPS!

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    non dairy creamer is not to bad. or there is almond milk creamer too i think its by silk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    When I was in college I drank my coffee about half milk, half coffee. When I started working and found actual milk was often not available (just half and half), I decided that adults drank their coffee black anyway (silly ideas one gets in one's 20s) ;-) and decided to switch to black. I just added less each day until I found it actually tasted just fine black. Getting good coffee helps a lot, of course.

Good luck and I hope it solves your issues!
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Califia Farms makes some almond milk creamer that is delicious. Their hazelnut flavor is tops.
  • melissaschleier
    melissaschleier Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out dairy completely when I was breastfeeding my son. If you're going to use almond milk, make sure its the creamer for your coffee. Regular almond milk does something funky. I would use silk soy creamer or the So Delicious coconut milk creamer. So Delicious makes an amazing cashew milk ice cream as well. Do not buy the yogurts or the cheese. I threw both away after 1 bite. If you have any other questions about the change to your diet, feel free to add me. I'd love to share.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    If you mean to go completely black: I never thought I could give up sugar and half & half, but calorie counting changed that. I now drink several cups of black coffee a day. I'm having a black cup of pumpkin spice coffee as I write this. If you're thinking of switching to a non-dairy alternative, I'm sure it won't be a problem. It'll just take some getting used to.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I did the same when there was only horrible powdered milk available for my coffee, so just decided if I want coffee it has to be black. Years later and I haven't looked back.
    I also switched to soya milk in my porridge and Alpro alternative yogurt instead of normal yogurt which I think tastes better. I just can't give up my cheese so limit myself to 25g in my salad.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    This was how I began my journey over three years ago. It was the very first baby-step I made on the road to health! I'll never forget that morning as I went to the coffee shop and ordered my large iced coffee - black! Oh my... I was used to it within a few days and haven't looked back since. I am not an advocate of dairy products anyway. Milk is for baby cows. But that's another story all together :smile: I do still enjoy a Greek yogurt now and then but that's about it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    are you in the US? If so, thank the gods because they have a plethora of coffee creamers that are non-dairy.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/product_groups/dairy-free-creamers

https://silk.com/products?category=136

along with: almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk, etc.

p.s. i'm jealous as hell because i am lactose intolerant and see them all over social media and i can't get them in europe. :cry:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Get good quality coffee...good coffee doesn't need anything.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you mean to go completely black: I never thought I could give up sugar and half & half, but calorie counting changed that. I now drink several cups of black coffee a day. I'm having a black cup of pumpkin spice coffee as I write this. If you're thinking of switching to a non-dairy alternative, I'm sure it won't be a problem. It'll just take some getting used to.

that sound delicious! what brand is it??
  • dbhDeb
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Get good quality coffee...good coffee doesn't need anything.

my husband says this all the time to my "baby coffee." lol!
  • dbhDeb
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    are you in the US? If so, thank the gods because they have a plethora of coffee creamers that are non-dairy.

http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/product_groups/dairy-free-creamers

https://silk.com/products?category=136

along with: almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk, etc.

p.s. i'm jealous as hell because i am lactose intolerant and see them all over social media and i can't get them in europe. :cry:

well...I could thank the gods if we weren't in this political cycle...LOL! Thanks for the creamer advice and take my word enjoy Europe!
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Most of the Coffee Mate creamers are dairy free
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    A half of cup of almond milk in coffee is only 15 calories and makes it a bigger cup and tastes yummy.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »

that sound delicious! what brand is it??

Nothing special. Green Mountain k cups. Seasonal, of course.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I got used to it just fine!
  • Ashley083
    Ashley083 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking my coffee black for about a year now and prefer it that way. I agree, good quality coffee helps!
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There's almond milk creamer or coconut milk creamer. I honestly just use my almond or cashew milk. Haven't used dairy cream in almost a year.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out dairy completely when I was breastfeeding my son. If you're going to use almond milk, make sure its the creamer for your coffee. Regular almond milk does something funky. I would use silk soy creamer or the So Delicious coconut milk creamer. So Delicious makes an amazing cashew milk ice cream as well. Do not buy the yogurts or the cheese. I threw both away after 1 bite. If you have any other questions about the change to your diet, feel free to add me. I'd love to share.

That's funny, that's all I use in my coffee. Tastes fine and looks fine.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well the majority of people are lactose intolerant to some degree so it's not surprising. I do not do much dairy and no milk. I use coconut milk creamer when I have coffee or soymilk on cereal or in baking and there's lots of dairy free cheeses like daiya. Their cream cheese spread is great. You can also take a digestive supplement to help when you do eat those foods. Won't make you symptomless but it can help.