Gaining 1lb in one week- What's going on??

jax_006
jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
How long does it take for your body to lose water weight from a new workout routine? I have been drinking TONS of water and within my calorie goals each day and I have gained 1lb since starting the new routine last week.

I know it's not much but with all the hard work I put in daily it can be kind of a bummer to see the scale go up .2 lbs every morning when I weigh in. When will this madness stop? :/ My new workout routine has been incorporating more strength training/resistance workouts and only 2 cardio days. I am working out 6-7 days/week. My "rest day" usually consists of a leisurely hike or a walk with the dogs. I enjoy being active every day.

Also, I am not experiencing any DOMS like I used to when I first started my journey in January. Is my workout not challenging enough? Should I just increase my weights? I sure do feel the struggle and pain while working out so it would be tough to increase my weights (upper body especially) and for go my form.

Thanks in advance :)

*note: I do weigh myself first thing when I wake up after I pee. So it's always under the same conditions.*

I attached a pic from the libra trend app to show the weight gain. I hit my low of 137 so maybe you can understand my frustration when the past week I have been gaining into the 139's :(

9rjr2kr4fbha.png

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    It can take a few weeks. If the daily fluctuations discourage you, I'd suggest cutting back to weighing weekly or even less.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Heck that's nothing, I gained 5 pounds last weekend visiting with my son in Atlanta, lots of eating out. On the bright side, when I put it on fast I can take it off fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited September 2016
    Don't worry about it...it'll move when it moves. One Lb could be anything...I can fluctuate anywhere from 1-5 Lbs from day to day.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Be consistent this next week check again.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    What they all said ^^

As for the DOMS, DOMS just mean that you've worked your muscle in new ways. You're unlikely to get much more of it at this rate unless you take time off. It doesn't mean you need to increase weight/intensity. Just means that your muscles are finally getting used to the exercise you're doing. I haven't had much in the last few months unless I introduce a new lift/exercise that works my muscle differently. Usually anything core related will give me some DOMS since my core is pretty weak and not used to most anything (except eating lol).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    stop weighing yourself every day and stop having a meltdown over a .2 pound "gain" ...that could be anything from a bowel movement to water retention ...

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,130 Member
    It's not a gain. It's water retention. It could be due to the workouts, or it could be hormonal in nature. It could be sodium. There's no way to know. Just keep doing what you're doing and be patient. The scale will not ever go down linearly or consistently. Your body is more complicated than that.
  • almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Where are you in your cycle? I always go through the same thing around the first week of the month: "Arrrgh, I've been working out so hard and eating so well even though resisting sweets has been harder than usual the past few days and now the scale went up 2 pounds.... wait a second, why am I hearing the "Jaws" theme?"
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited September 2016
    I'll just quote myself from another thread:

g9a7a6mlw5wk.png

Now you know when I ovulated and was pre-menstrual, lol. The seven pound spike last late October / early November was when I started lifting weights again.