Least-bad drinks?

Options
First- I know I've started a bunch of threads since joining here. Hope I'm not sounding too spammy!

Here's the deal. It's Friday night (FINALLY) and I'm planning on meeting a few friends down the pub. I've had a long week, and I've saved a couple hundred calories today and yesterday so I've got a sweet 300 to play with this evening. While of course I don't want to overindulge, it would be wonderful to be able to have a lovely relaxing drink- or maybe even two, if I can play my cards right. I want to have a game plan in advance so that I know precisely how much I can indulge and in what!

Now, I get that beer is liquid calories, so I figure I should stay away from my favourite beloved pints for the moment. So I'm thinking about alternatives. I was thinking of maybe going for a white wine and sparkling water spritzer? Maybe even two, if MFP is right that a small glass of white is 70 cals?

Do you figure I'm on the right track with this? What kinds of low-calorie boozes do you booze when it's booze-time? ;)

Replies

• AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Vodka. With a diet mixer or tonic
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I almost always go for wine. I might as well get some valuable nutrients while I'm getting a buzz. ::drinker::
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I don't know the proportion of water to wine in a spritzer, but you should be able to fit two 5-oz glasses of wine into a 300 calorie budget (figure about 25 calories per fluid ounce or 30 milliliters).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    1 Guinness is 170, cuz I love beer! Have two!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Depends on the beer; lower alcohol content beers are lower calorie. IPAs and imperial stouts...

Here's a good tool for estimating calories for beer: http://www.beeroftomorrow.com/calories-in-craft-beer/

Also, ratebeer.com has a lot of calories (all are for 12oz).

You can drink more with pure spirits, and wine isn't too bad calorie-wise, but a glass of wine is more like 120 (although I couldn't figure out if you were talking about with a spritzer).

When I don't want to "waste" calories on beer, I go for single malt whisky. Either neat or with a few drops of water to open the flavors.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you want wine, most standard pours of red and non-sweet whites (5-6 oz, which is a small glass by most standards) are approximately 120 calories. Spritzers usually use that whole pour and add soda water and ice so you get more volume for the same number of calories, so that can be a good option if you're looking for something to sip.

With 300 calories, most pints of beer would be an option - mostly in the 200-250 range for 20oz unless you're having one of those 8% types or whatever.

Finally, hard stuff like vodka, whiskey, etc tends to be 70-80 calories an oz (more for sugary liqueurs and that kind of thing), so if you like mixed drinks, you'd be able to fit several singles with a calorie-free mixer in if you wanted.
  • BeGrandLike
    BeGrandLike Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't know the proportion of water to wine in a spritzer, but you should be able to fit two 5-oz glasses of wine into a 300 calorie budget (figure about 25 calories per fluid ounce or 30 milliliters).

When I get a spritzer I just order a small glass of wine and a sparkling water, and I top up the glass with the sparkling water. I normally get two spritzers out of one small bottle of water? So I get to feel like I'm having more volume of Delicious Drinks, and at the same time I'm automatically getting in my nice healthy water in between my drinks :sunglasses:
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Ha, so I live in a part of Ireland outside Dublin where we wouldn't be caught dead drinking Guinness! It's all about the local stouts here. ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AoifeFitzy wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Ha, so I live in a part of Ireland outside Dublin where we wouldn't be caught dead drinking Guinness! It's all about the local stouts here. ;)

My bad!!
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    I almost always go for wine. I might as well get some valuable nutrients while I'm getting a buzz. ::drinker::

It's all about the vitamins, baby!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Vodka. With a diet mixer or tonic

My go to with soda water.
  • BeGrandLike
    Options
    Right. Two glasses of wine (and some sparkling water) it is. Luckily I'm a massive lightweight so that's about my limit anyway since I wanna get out 'n' exercising in the morning too.

Happy Friday everyone!