Dropping a lot of weight in a healthy amount of time

Options
1235»

Replies

• JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You may have shrunk your stomach by eating so little over the past several days. I'm not an expert on those things, so I can't say for certain, but it sounds like you did well by spacing it out over the day. Don't overstuff yourself, because you'll just make yourself uncomfortable. I think you're going to do just fine now that you've got your head on straight.

I have in-laws from hell. My husband isn't all that crazy about most of them, and they're HIS family. Just keep your distance and remember that the way they treat you says more about them than it does about you. I decided that what mine thought about me was none of my business anyway. Not my monkeys, not my circus!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,419 Member
    Options
    Alright guys... I really ate until I felt full, and I almost made it to 1500 calories. I mean I spaced it out throughout the day.

Did I mess up my stomach? I'm worried now :(

Just last week I could eat 6k calories a day and still be eating in the middle of night randomly. I still have some veggies on my plate from dinner too. I'm just stuffed. I feel like if I eat anymore I will throw up.

Don't stress. Absolutely get a minimum of good nutrition. But it's OK if it takes you a few days to figure that out!

I strive for 0.6 (minimum!) -0.8g protein per pound of goal weight, about 0.35g per pound of goal weight in fat (as much as possible from healthy sources like nuts, seeds, olive oil, cold-water fish, etc.), an absolute minimum of 5 (half cup) servings of veg/fruit daily (ideally more) and let the carbs fall where they may - this is Just My Opinion!

Beyond that, to get to a healthy calorie level, think about higher calorie but low-volume healthy foods like peanut butter, avocado, etc. Don't worry too much about one day, but try to get to healthy levels most days, over time.

You can do this!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    It seems like you're focusing a lot on the little things (if it's okay to add rice, or beans, or whether or not you need to eat steak, etc.) and kind of missing the big picture.

Weight loss isn't about eating some perfect diet in the short term. There is no perfect combination of foods, and one food isn't "healthy" or "unhealthy" all by itself.

Weight loss IS about eating a little less than you burn, over a long period of time, in a way that doesn't cause an undue burden on you (physically or mentally).

If you like your salad with two tablespoons of dressing, eat it. If you don't like cottage cheese, don't eat it. Track your total number of calories, using a food scale for solids and measuring cups/spoons for liquids. Beyond that, eat a varied diet that incorporates foods you enjoy and gets you a good balance of carbs, fat and protein so that you keep your body running well. Also, eat some veggies and fruits so that you get your vitamins and don't get scurvy.

Do that for the next year or so. It's really that simple. Not easy, but simple.

I wish I could awesome this post more than once, so I will have to settle for quoting it for posterity. You should copy paste this advice into nearly every thread on these boards, it summarizes perfectly a healthy approach to weight loss!

Well done!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I'd set a goal of no more than 2lbs a week. In 105 days, that's 15 weeks, or 30 lbs max. It's going to be tough to lose it faster, and you are probably going to have to do it in an unhealthy manner which I don't recommend, nor will most people here. You can lose it faster than 2 lbs a week, but you're going to lose muscle along with fat, and the muscle will go faster than the fat, so you'll end up looking "skinny fat". If it were me, I'd slow down and build muscle if possible while you go, and keep it at 2lbs a week or less.