Including daily walking

Options
Hello all!

I was wondering if you included the walking that is done on a daily basis. I.E. running errands, walking around school campus etc. To your Myfitnesspal exercise dairy? I'm only wondering because this walking is something that I have to do regardless, so I don't consider it intense exercise. I'm wondering if any others feel the same.

If so how do you calculate all of this fairly?

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Generally, I would say it's included in the activity level that you chose when you set up your profile.

Another option is to use a Fitness tracker and let it calculate your activity level and adjust your calories accordingly.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I aim for 10,000 steps a day so I count myself as lightly active and don't log walking, unless I were to do something way outside the norm like go for a more intense hike through a hilly area.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    No, I don't include normal walking around during the day. I have MFP set for my normal daily activity so I only include extra exercise.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I walk to work and I don't count it as actual exercise. It's just part of my day. I have my activity level set to lightly active because of walking to work and working on my feet for 8 hours. If I 'go' for a walk, then I count it, because it's purposeful exercise.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No. That's all part of your activity level. What you can do is purchase an activity tracker that does account for them and gives you calories if you exceed what MFP sees you burning above your chosen activity level.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Add it to your activity level.
  • Wophie
    Wophie Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to have my activity level set to sedentary, and then add my walks to/from work. My only rule was, if its not a solid journey (for example, stop starting around a supermarket) I wouldn't add it.

A few months back I got a Fitbit, and let that workout my calories burnt from walking whilst keep the MFP activity to sedentary.

Both worked equally for me - as long as you don't log your walk and have your activity set anything above sedentary you should be fine.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    It's actually a lot simpler than most people make it.

You burn calories when you walk. It doesn't matter if you consider it exercise or not, if you do that same walk every day (to work, or maybe to your car to drive to work) or if it's unusual, it doesn't matter what your rules are; it takes energy to move your body.

You can deal with that by setting your activity level, or by tracking your walks. Whatever is easiest and most convenient for you. They're both the right way.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I set myfitnesspal activity level to sedentary and synced it with my jawbone up2 activity tracker. My days vary too drastically so this works best for me.