Those with a toned stomach...and lost the last few pounds by lifting weights!

Options
prettypeach790
prettypeach790 Posts: 27 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

I know there are a ton of people on here asking about building muscle and how much to eat etc., but I can't find anyone with my credentials to compare, so here ya go!

I am a 26 year old female, 5'10 and around 168-170 lbs. BMR is 1593 TDEE is 2132

I lost about 45ish lbs eating between 1000-1300 a day for about 3.5 months, and now I am eating around 1500-1800 (I try to, but since I started lifting I seem to be more hungry). My base is 1480, and I eat back some of my workout calories to an average of 1500-1800 most days. I work hard to not eat all my exercise calories back, and my MFP always tells me I am in the losing weight category when I complete my diary. Every once in a while I have an off day, but that I think has only happened 2 times since I started logging here.

My workouts are every other day I do full body lifting with 15 lb dumbbells for about 20-30 minutes and some cardio as well (15-30) and on the opposite day I will due all cardio by walking/biking/zumba dance videos and some burpees and small workouts like that. Plus I walk for 30 minutes every day at lunch about 3.5 MPH. <this new workout routine just started about a week ago. I used to only do biking for about 15 minutes and would walk on my lunches for 30 minutes because I would get really tired and hungry with the small calorie intake I had.

I feel like I am that "skinny fat" but I am not skinny by any means, I need to lose about 8 more lbs. My goal is 160 and to be toned (especially my stomach) but I definitely am not toned at all, and I just can't seem to lose more weight where I am... my stomach is still not firm, etc.

What am I doing wrong, or am I doing right? Do I need to eat more? I stress so hard on eating, and I don't want to go backwards.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? Or are you at goal weight?

I'm not quite your stats, nearly twice your age, 5'8 and 160 but I'm at goal

If you're at goal and looking to recomp (gain muscle and lose fat) then you need a decent progressive resistance programme eating at, or just under maintenance (and there is no way that is as low as the calories you have)

I think your food logging is off if you're not losing weight at that calorie (my TDEE is around 2200-2400 so I'd lose at least 0.5-1lb a week at that logging, but I weigh all my food and choose appropriate calorie counts)

Progressive resistance is not 15 lbs deadlifts ...

Personally I lift heavy with barbells and progression...in weight, sets, reps,ROM or adaptations

Get a decent programme ..Brett Contreras Strong Curves (book), Mark Rippetoes Starting Strength(online) or Stronglifts5x5 and do it properly ...3 times a week

Cardio for cardiovascular health = 2 x 20 min sessions a week minimum, more if you enjoy

And generally more active
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Did you change your title?

Is it just your abs? In which case lose more weight, abs are mainly kitchen
  • prettypeach790
    prettypeach790 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Did you change your title?

Is it just your abs? In which case lose more weight, abs are mainly kitchen

yes, because that is where I want the change. I am happy with most everything else, but my stomach just is not firm!

I am not 100% sure if weight is what I want to lose at this point, because the scale means nothing to me, I just want to look toned. I was hoping that if I started doing some weights and abdominal work I would lose the weight from the muscle?

I am new to all this, but it has really gotten me interested in being lean and toned, which I was just concerned with being "skinny" before. So I am REALLY ignorant in the whole subject.

I weigh my food with a scale at home, and I prepare all my meals at home. Sometimes I am sure I am off here or there when I do not have my scale, but that is not that common. Snacks are where I downfall if I get really hungry at work and I have to just eat something small to get me through, and I measure in cups and not scale...

I have read so many places that to get a toned stomach you have to start lifting to get that muscle to burn the fat off... so I am kinda confused.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Nope you need to remove body fat to reveal abs

Lifting progressively and adequate protein helps build muscle in surplus, and in maintenance generally but any layer of body fat will hide them
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Look for the "so you want a nice stomach" thread

Pretty sure someone will link it soon