How much weight should I lose?

Options
I lost 70lbs in the last year and I'm very proud! I'm 141lbs now and 5'3, so I literally just made it into the healthy weight bracket for BMI, woohoo! :-)

I still have a few problem areas, and I'm losing weight slowly now to rid of them. My question is, about how much more weight should I lose? Obviously, I know this ultimately is my decision, but I'm so bad at judging this kind of stuff. I love my body all except for some fat by my shoulders and on my hips, so I don't want to lose a lot of weight. I know that we lose overall weight and can't spot reduce, though.

Would losing 5lbs cover these two spots? Or since weight loss is overall, would it be more like 10lbs or 20lbs? I don't want to look sickly but as I said, there are areas I want to slim up. I'm just curious how much weight you guys think it'd take before I'd see differences there.

Thanks for any feedback or advice! It means a lot. :) I added a picture for reference too.
1s01r5o7juf2.jpeg

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, maybe focus not on the number on your scale, but how you feel, fit your clothes. Strength training more than likely will raise your weight, but you'll be a smaller more compact, toned, package.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I agree with stepping away from the scale and work on how you feel...

Also, your skin can take up to a year to regain elasticity after weight loss.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, maybe focus not on the number on your scale, but how you feel, fit your clothes. Strength training more than likely will raise your weight, but you'll be a smaller more compact, toned, package.

I agree with the first part of this, but aside from initial water weight, strength training won't increase your weight unless you are eating a surplus.

I think you look great! And I do think that lifting would be beneficial for the "trouble spots" you've identified. You can always try lifting and eating in maintenance (or at a small deficit) for a while to see what kind of results you're getting. From there you can decide if you want to cut down another couple lbs or not.

Congrats on all of your success!
  • castillocameron
    Options
    Find out what works best for you! every comment above sounds legit! good luck!
  • ItsMariii
    ItsMariii Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Maybe drop 5 more lbs of fat? (not really necessary though) but most importantly it's time to start weight training. Putting on muscle will give your body the more toned physique. I say you should build your strength first and continuously work your way up to lifting heavy weights. You want to track how much you're lifting and how many reps as well to keep track of your progression.
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think you look nicely in proportion. While you aren't tall your bust is balanced by the rest of your body and to me you look trim and fit. Congratulations