Problem with sweets... :(

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I was just reading about brewed cacao beans as the Aztecs used to do it -- supposedly very bitter and you can add spice, which sounds appealing. This is not the source I'm referring to, but basically the same thing, I haven't researched it myself:
    The Aztec version of the chocolate drink differed from the Mayan because it was served cold. A small minority of upper-class citizens enjoyed the frothy drink. It was expensive to make, requiring many valuable cacao beans. As such, it was enjoyed by rulers, priests, and noblemen from a tall pitcher. The Aztecs believed that the drink was medicinal, provided energy, and boosted sex drive. Lower class members of society would get a taste of the divine drink on special occasions such as a wedding....

Nobody enjoyed the bitter chocolate drink quite like the ninth ruler of Tenochtitlan, Montezuma II. "Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin" ( his name translated to Nahuatl) drank the spicy chocolate cocktail 50 times a day. Additionally, he had thousands of pitchers prepared for the members of his household daily. He kept a storage room full of beans acquired through trade, tax, and military conquests. He also set forth the edict that cacao was reserved for men who went to battle.

http://www.chocolate.org/articles/chocolate-and-the-aztecs.html
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I was just reading about brewed cacao beans as the Aztecs used to do it -- supposedly very bitter and you can add spice, which sounds appealing. This is not the source I'm referring to, but basically the same thing, I haven't researched it myself:

It is different. It is not like drinking hot chocolate, but more like a chocolate tea when brewed as if it were coffee (not sure what the Mayan or Aztec techniques were). I am going to try making it as a stove-top espresso and see how that changes the flavor compared to a French press.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »

It is different. It is not like drinking hot chocolate, but more like a chocolate tea when brewed as if it were coffee (not sure what the Mayan or Aztec techniques were).

Not like hot chocolate. Here's the description from the link:

"Like their Mesoamerican predecessors, the Mayan people cultivated and harvested cacao beans. They developed a process that we still use today to produce cacao liquor or cacao paste: They removed the beans from the pod (another name for the fruit), fermented them in containers, laid them out to dry, and then ground them. The liquid was mixed with water and chile peppers. Other ingredients such as flowers, vanilla, and honey were added. The result was a thick, bitter, foamy drink. They worked to make the drink as froth-filled as possible by pouring from one container to the next. Stirring with a special spoon like utensil called a Molinillo was another approach."
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Not like hot chocolate. Here's the description from the link:

"Like their Mesoamerican predecessors, the Mayan people cultivated and harvested cacao beans. They developed a process that we still use today to produce cacao liquor or cacao paste: They removed the beans from the pod (another name for the fruit), fermented them in containers, laid them out to dry, and then ground them. The liquid was mixed with water and chile peppers. Other ingredients such as flowers, vanilla, and honey were added. The result was a thick, bitter, foamy drink. They worked to make the drink as froth-filled as possible by pouring from one container to the next. Stirring with a special spoon like utensil called a Molinillo was another approach."

The frothy description was what threw me in your first quote as to what process they might use! The espresso maker works pretty well. It makes it a bit more bitter than steeping in hot water, but concentrates the flavor (as expected, I suppose). It also brings out more of the oils in the beans, as the expresso version is much more oily in consistency than the brewed.

Thanks for the info! I know this is the Google age and I could look it up myself, but having a conversation is fun. :smile:

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    what do to about the cravings..?????

Either satisfy your craving by eating a little bit of the food that you crave (if it fits in your calories) or ignore it.

Cutting out sweets isn't a requirement for weight loss.
  • kally_wph
    kally_wph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow so much new information! Thanks alot guys! I appreciate it!
    Since I wrote the post I've tried to control these cravings or at least not overpass my calorie goal!
  • Parsons88
    Parsons88 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you. I eat so many sweets. My advice would be to workout more (so you can enjoy SOME sweets) and drink more water.