Jogging in your 50's

Options
I have been walk/jogging 3-5 times a week since January1, 2013. However it doesn't seem to be getting any easier for me. I can do a 5k in 38 minutes, and would like to get faster, but I can't say I enjoy it because it makes me feel so rough afterwards. I even feel rough just practicing throughout the week. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have lost 26lbs doing this and want to lose another 25lbs but it just seems like my body is wearing down. I would enjoy it if my body felt better.

Replies

• Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Its 90 plus degrees outside--50's are October weather. Wait did you mean age?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In your 50s you should be able to run well if you train right. Post what your training looks like and I might be able to give some suggestions. (I'm 53). Also, it gets much easier as you lose more weight.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Try getting or borrowing one of Jeff Galloway's books, His mindset is for older runners.

Based on the things he recommends, I'd run no more than 3 times a week with one to two rest days between each run. Don't be afraid to walk some during your runs. Slowly increase time, distance, or speed over time. He's got some great ideas to keep people running well and soundly at very high ages.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm a young guy, relatively fast, and I would love to be able to keep up with the >50 year old runners. You have to give more details - your run progression, shoes (fitted for you?), what exactly "feels rough"? Most issues with running boil down to a few common things, and simply being of a certain age isn't one of them.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Scottb is a mentor of mine and has helped me so much in my running. I ran a full marathon this year and have signed up for 2 more and another half. If Scott offers you help...take it!! Hes wonderful and full of practical and sound advise. :) good luck
    (This site does have many wonderful runners who are so happy to help.)
    p.s....ill help all I can from a woman's perspective.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    In your 50s you should be able to run well if you train right. Post what your training looks like and I might be able to give some suggestions. (I'm 53). Also, it gets much easier as you lose more weight.

Just like RunnerinVT has said, scottb has also helped me enormously in helping me go from 5k to a marathon.

You can improve your running, and you can also *enjoy* your running whilst you improve and not feel so rough.

We all experience 'bad runs' from time to time, but they key is to have an achievable goal and a sound training plan to help you get there, and have belief in the plan and your own abilities. Mfp is loaded with some incredible runners who are extremley unselfish in the help and guidance they give others.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I respect Runner and bluefox immensely . They are incredible runners and I would give my eye teeth to be able to run at their caliber. However, at 51, I am a S-L-O-W runner. But steady!!! I hang in there and "get 'er done" as a friend of my would say. (I will say here, though, that in my late 40's, I was also a slow runner. Some of us~(me)~are destined to be slow pokes).

Speed is not everything. Tenacity~the ability to hang in there regardless counts TONS!

Don't get discouraged. Hang in there. There will be good days and not so great days but everyday you are out there on the road is an awesome day! Keep telling yourself that.

Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck on the last few pounds. Keep on running and you've got this!
  • dan_boisvert_sub5x50
    dan_boisvert_sub5x50 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    "Try getting or borrowing one of Jeff Galloway's books, His mindset is for older runners."

I would add that his programs are intended to help you improve slowly while enjoying the process. That is, they are intended to help finish your run/walks wanting to have done more.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    but I can't say I enjoy it because it makes me feel so rough afterwards.
    I even feel rough just practicing throughout the week.
    Does anybody have any suggestions?

Slow down
    And then Slow down some more.

Are you "racing" every day?
    Or are you doing training for some months and then "racing" again?

When you finish a workout, do you kinda feel as if you could turn around and do it again, right then and there?

Couple links to browse.
    :-)

http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/cippianhotmail/files/Want_Speed_Slow_Down_2007.pdf

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
  • Liz_Mfp
    Options
    ......if you train right. ....
    Post what your training looks like ...

+1

:-)
  • nmfsc
    nmfsc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Jeff Galloway was my solution.
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and have been running off and on for the past 10 years. My time off has been a year or so at a time due to injuries. Then, when I start back up (very slow, running 1- 2 x's a week at 11-12:00 mpm pace) it is like I lost all my conditioning and it is grueling. I really can't run slower than an 11:00 minute mile. I would end up walking and my heart rate would be way too low to be beneficial. I was wondering if it was because I wasn't running more frequently that it always seems so hard? Since Jan. 2013, I started back running after being off for almost 6 months with chronic achilles tendonoisis and had physical therapy (ASTYM graston method) - I ran 1 time a week for two months, then 2 x's a week for 3 months and then 3 x's a week and I am not improving my time at all and it is just as hard now as it was in the beginning of the year. I don't want to have sore achilles again so I am tentative to run longer than 3.5 miles at a time and more than 2-3 times a week. Any suggestions? Last run was 3.1 miles in 33:26 with an average heart rate of 152 (way too high - normally it is 145)

Oh - my fastest pace was about 4 years ago averaging 9:00 mpm for 5 miles. My longest run was 10.5 miles with a 10:00 pace.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Options
    I really can't run slower than an 11:00 minute mile.
    I would end up walking
    and my heart rate would be way too low to be beneficial.

You "can" run slower than an 11:00 mile.
    Move your legs more slowly, do less of a sprinting motion and more of a shuffling-step motion.
    Walking is beneficial toward learning to run well.
    Lower heart rates are very beneficial actually.

Most folks in fact do too much too soon, even when they think they aren't
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html

Don't be afraid of a lower heart rate either
    http://content.bandzoogle.com/users/cippianhotmail/files/Want_Speed_Slow_Down_2007.pdf
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say a 25 pound loss isn't progress.
    Its great your knees allow you to do this regularly.
    I simply can't anymore because of my knees, so I hired a trainer and I am very happy.