Muscle building & Resting

Options
Ok so I'm usually more in to cardio
I've always weight trained but never anything heavy
Since finally coming down from 200 to now 127 (My body is not the same) Not as pirky!
I would like to build muscle mass and change my body completely
I'm now focussed on weight training
I am becoming stronger & wanting to lift a lot heavier than ever before
Ok so I've been told to train hard in the gym and rest good at home
(muscles build when we are actually in rest mode) With out rest out muscle won't grow
I am training one and a half hours Monday-Saturday and in the morning about 6am (Sunday is rest day)
I really wanto start training two times a day Once in the gym at 6am and then again about 4pm
So my question is how will training twice a day effect rest mode? Will I over work my muscle and not allow them to rest recover and build???
Also I am 5,3 127pounds
I am not active at all only in the morning at the gym
I sit all day (My job)
How many cals do you consider necessary to bulk?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Based on your other thread, you need to address your nutrition before you consider MORE training, IMO.
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    OVIOUSLY that has been taken care of. Food and cals have been upped (Can you people not read) If you have no legit answere to THIS topic than please don't waist my time!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Rest mode when you don't rest?
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Rest mode when you don't rest?

????

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What training program are you using?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    OVIOUSLY that has been taken care of. Food and cals have been upped (Can you people not read) If you have no legit answere to THIS topic than please don't waist my time!

*waste
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    No specific program I just work with weights and eat healthy These pics are from me gym sessions (some of the things I'm doing)
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
  • alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

I don't think they were trying to *waste your time. Was just trying to offer insight.

i also don't think working out more than an hour 6 days a week with one rest day is going to get muscle/strength any faster than the average weight/strength training program. While it's true muscles grow/get stronger while resting, the general consensus is to give it (specific muscles you worked) 24-48 hours of rest. At least that's what I've learned/read from researching. I could be misunderstanding what you wrote, but I think training that much may be overkill.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It's better to find an established program
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Follow one of the beginner lifting programs found here (including the number of days to work out!):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

When it is not a lifting day you can do a little cardio or go for a walk. It is totally unnecessary to lift weights 6 days a week. More is not better - you will probably burn out or injure yourself doing that. If you are following one of those programs 3-4 days a week should be pretty taxing and is enough to get the results you want.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As mentioned I would use an established program not just random weights in the gym.
    Also you don't need to lift that much.. rest days are important.

When you say "bulk" you mean gaining weight? When you bulk you will gain fat and muscle. Or do you mean body recomposition?
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    As mentioned I would use an established program not just random weights in the gym.

When you say "bulk" you mean gaining weight? When you bulk you will gain fat and muscle. Or do you mean body recomposition?

Yes gaining weight but muscle weight
  • casandra_zamarripa
    Options

*waste

*waste

Either way you know what I meant
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Yes gaining weight but muscle weight

When bulking you can't just gain muscle unfortunately.. fat will come with it. That is why there is usually a cut after a bulk cycle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will make the greatest gains if you follow one of the structured lifting programs in the link above; strongcurves and NROL4W are big favorites with many women. They are very complete programs and will take you 6 to 9 months to run an entire cycle. They are very solid programs as they are 3 day full body routines that focus on compound movements, which will maximize the amount of muscles being engaged. Doing a hodgepodge of moves will largely be ineffective.

As a women, you can fully expect that about 75% of your gains will be fat. It's inevitable and the reason you have to cut after a good bulk. The purpose of a bulk is to gain mass and the purpose of a cut is to get lean and ripped.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Unless you are chemically enhanced two workouts 6 days a week is just not in your best interests. Your muscles grow with rest after stressing and you need to give them time to heal. It may seem paradoxical but if you want to gain muscle you should probably reduce your workouts to 4 days a week with weights and you'll do better. Your muscles only grow so much and stimulation every 48 to 72 hours is pretty much optimal unless you are taking drugs to accelerate your ability to stimulate new growth. If you want to do two workouts a day where one is weights and one is cardio that's a different matter, but you will still be suboptimal for gaining muscle.

As recommended above, find a good beginner lifting program that's designed for natural lifters.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    1.5 hours per day 6 days a week is, in my opinion, already too much. More = worse.

As per other's comments: Pick a beginner strength routine and follow it. You will probably find that you can meet the requirements of the program with 3 or 4 sessions of about 1 hour each. Add in a bit for time for some stretching and low intensity cardio (for cardio vascular health) and you're good.