This is damn harder alone, a rambling rant.

Options
So here we are on edge of the long holiday weekend. The wife and kids went down to visit family, I'm home alone because I work this weekend. My calorie deficits always hit me hardest in the evening. So I sit here alone, starving, trying to figure out what to do for dinner. Rummage through the fridge and cabinets, theres a lot I could make but none of it thawed and I'm both hungry and lazy right now. Thoughts of fast food and junk food and ice cream and cookies keep going through my mind. I need dinner and I need to go the grocery for food item for work (so I'm not eating junk at work)

I finally decided I'll go to Chilis and get some steak, shrimp and broccoli. That should cure my problems! ~430 calories of steak shrimp and broc later I'm still hungry. My stomach is full but it's that internal, my body is screaming "eat more", type of hungry so now I'm kinda pissy being both full and hungry.

Oh well, the satiety of the food should be kicking in soon, so I'll go the store and get the things on the grocery list. DAMN, why do they have to have the pies and cookies right as you walk in? I looking longingly at them as I go passed... BE STRONG I say to myself. Then I find myself with an individual chocolate cream pie in my hand, reading the nutrition.... waaaay too many carbs for my plan..... put it back. BE STRONG. I go through the store picking out what I needed, finally got it all, and then I find myself looking at the bags of donuts as I go past..... nope, nope, nope, don't even pick it up! Then the idea of the Quest bars hits me. Individual, not bad in calories, not bad in carbs.... I think I spent 15 minutes looking at them, picking them up, asking myself "Do I REALLY need this or is this just another weakness that I'll be pissed about doing later?"

I finally walk away and go to check out without giving in. It was about this time that it hit me that this is a LOT harder to do when you're alone. I wouldn't have even given these things a second thought normally. I would have brought them home and my wife would have been like "what are doing with this? Is that part of your planned food today?" It's also a lot easier just be kinda miserable with someone else around. Less tempting to go binge on crap.

Well, one more successful day down. Did I mention the hunger didn't go away? Oh well, not the first time I've slept off a hunger. Tomorrow I'll be at the fire station where the other guys and tease and tempt me with their cookies and what not, but somehow it's easier to stay strong in the face of that than to sit here alone with my thoughts of peach cobbler running through my head.

Good night boys and girls, tomorrow is a new day!

Replies

• MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Good day! I usually give in to my "head hunger", unfortunately.
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Know the feelings dude, I work days and hubs works evenings. In that boat a lot of my life. Like ur writing style. Hit me up on ur next rant. It hit home and made me smile <3
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Ps. Don't say peach cobbler..... :s
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wow! The struggle you share brought tears to my eyes. I understand that feeling. I am however different, I do better by myself than with others. Thank you for sharing the struggle. It will help others feel not alone on this topic.

Congratulations! For not giving in. Inspiration is the only word I can say.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The beginning is harder than hell. It took my stubborn hedonistic *kitten* a few years to really get into the right frame of mind, and realize how much better I felt when I ate right. It's now a habit, but I still enjoy food that isn't exactly on the dieting approved list. Beer, burgers, pizza, and dessert all factor in, but it's a matter of balance. That and a love lifting and running days! The euphoria of runners high or hitting a new PR is addicting.

BTW, if nights are your problem then try skipping breakfast and banking more calories for the evening.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options

BTW, if nights are your problem then try skipping breakfast and banking more calories for the evening.

Dang, why didnt i think of that! Breakfast is a lot easier to skip and move those cals to evening time. Thanks! Some times things are just too obvious for me to see.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Dang, why didnt i think of that! Breakfast is a lot easier to skip and move those cals to evening time. Thanks! Some times things are just too obvious for me to see.

In fairness, there's a lot of misinformation out there about breakfast being important or even "the most important meal of the day." It's not. I only eat it on weekends when I exercise enough to make it worthwhile. My brother for years would even skip lunch and just load up at dinner. Glad I could help and good luck!