100k bike ride

Options
So on the first day of our holiday hubby and I did a 100k charity bike ride. I have done the 50k of this event twice before but this was the first time I've done anything like that long. So hands up I didn't train enough. I had pneumonia in March and was out of action for a couple of months. I also did a10k race a couple of weeks before so I while I was exercising I knew I didn't have enough long rides in. I was confident I could do the distance eventually but not fast.
It wasnt the best prep as the week before the ride my kids were away so I spent long hours doing DIY and moving furniture, not sleeping much and nutrition wasnt the best. The day before MIL cooked tea and as she still can't do vegetarian food (I've now been in the family 25 years) I ate new potatoes, carrots, and peas.
The forecast was for a very hot day with a few showers in the afternoon so I had packed light kit and sun cream. The day dawned clear blue sky but cool so I dug out a base layer and waterproof. By the time the ride started it had clouded over and was still cold. We started off me, hubby and hubbys uncle (75). the uncle set off at a cracking pace. I pushed off and realised someone had knocked into me and knocked my gears out sync.

Replies

• Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am seriously impressed. Well done for finishing and in a good time as well - that's a cracking average speed considering the circumstances. I do a bit of cycling but haven't gone that distance yet. Fantastic :smile:
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The 75year old uncle did it in 5 hours 10 mins which was amazing. He lives there so is used to the routes - that's my excuse anyway! I'd recommend a long ride to anyway, but check the course out first!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Congratulations!! :smiley:

And you made it within randonneuring time. :) The minimum speed, including all breaks, on a randonnee is 15 km/h or 6 hours 40 minutes.

Next up is a century (100 miles)! :mrgreen:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Forging through the pain, cold, traffic, emotions..you DID it. Well done. The whole ride sounded miserable so my hat is off to you for keeping the wheels down.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    If you do it again swap your tires out for smoother ones. First time I did that I was amazed by the less effort required.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Well done - on a mountain bike too.
    End of season sales are starting if you are looking for an upgrade!

You might like to check this out for your next challenge/adventure.
    (Audax UK - The Long Distance Cyclists' Association) - http://www.aukweb.net/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!