Options
    Following...

bianca%2Bdel%2Brio%2Blips.gif
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    You're only accountable to you. I doubt many care to the extent we like to think they do

Nice point.

I have been struggling as to what to say here. This is a personal journal of thoughts, journal of a personal nature of one's days of activities and events, what's being eaten for dinner and actual reading of the recipes.. confused in this matter and using this platform.

Actually Roxie, no, it's not a "personal journal". Its an open recounting and sharing of thoughts, insights and maybe even some recipes and products.

I have to wonder though: why dump on someone else trying to get healthier? Maybe lemonychild doesn't care about my struggles and thoughts. That's okay. But if she really believes others don't care to the extent "we think they do", then why bother to tell others her thoughts and ideas, etc?

This platform is called a "message board", Roxie. It doesn't specify what kind of message you put up, as long as you follow the rules outlined in the website terms of service (TOS). Which my posts certainly do.

I chose this venue because I do not want to hide my problem any more. Oh, I guess I could blog it. And the blogs allow you to hide your posts. That's the very thing I do NOT need to do. Even if nobody reads what I write here, I am still being open, for the first time since this struggle began!

So for you, Ms Roxie, and others who say they're confused, I hope this explanation helps.

A lack of transparency only works if you're in government. ;) For the rest of us it only messes up our lives more.

Because I did not elaborate on my post/comment does not mean in any way.. the use of the terminology you used to imply in any way that I was "dump on someone else trying to get healthier"..

I do agree with many others though that this platform is meant for something a bit different.

edited to add as I forgot this idea: you can create a GROUP in MFP and ask people to join you in this particular "theme" you are wanting people to engage in with you.
  • batfint
    batfint Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some people have no manners. Shame on them.

Good luck with the weight loss. :)
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    OKAY NOW if someone would kindly tell me who is making you all read this thread out of the thousands available on myfitnesspal, I would like to know! Shame on them for making you click on this thread and double shame on them for making you read it! :#

No body is forcing anyone to read a particular forum post. For me personally I look at the most recent posts and click on on the titles that sound interesting, or where I can relate, or if I think I have some insight. Maybe if your title was more accurate you wouldn't be receiving this type of feedback. We can chose to click on a post, so purposely making in vague is a bit misleading. Even having "Putting it out there - my accountability blog" would at least give people an idea of what the post is about.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Oh. I meant actual studies or articles from medical journals, not blogs or WebMD postings. But that's fine.
    Some people can do it alone or basically by themselves.

But I thought it was a proven fact that people can't do it alone?

Sorry...I just have a problem with people presenting things as fact that in reality, are not. It happens here a lot.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a blog function on MFP? I don't use it but I know people on my FL do. Maybe OP is unaware.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Isn't there a blog function on MFP? I don't use it but I know people on my FL do. Maybe OP is unaware.

OP stated they didn't want to use the blog function....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »

OP stated they didn't want to use the blog function....

Why not? I guess I must have missed it there was a lot of words.
  • l1k4
    l1k4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Best slogan......ever. Never up, never in. OP is asking for golf slogans correct?!?
  • bugsypemberton
    bugsypemberton Posts: 46 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    OKAY NOW if someone would kindly tell me who is making you all read this thread out of the thousands available on myfitnesspal, I would like to know! Shame on them for making you click on this thread and double shame on them for making you read it! :#

I keep coming back to read what others responses are. I generally skip over your posts.

qp916a4weaba.gif

works for me, honeybee!
    btw..that news guy scarfing popcorn? not terribly annoying other than its a poorly done .gif
  • bugsypemberton
    edited September 2016
    Options

Oh. I meant actual studies or articles from medical journals, not blogs or WebMD postings. But that's fine.
    Some people can do it alone or basically by themselves.

But I thought it was a proven fact that people can't do it alone?

Sorry...I just have a problem with people presenting things as fact that in reality, are not. It happens here a lot.

If you had stated that first I wouldve supplied the info.
    Perhaps you were mistaken in what it is you're looking for?
    http://ebn.bmj.com/content/12/3/92.full.pdf+html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3060773/
    "This Internet weight loss community plays a prominent role in participants’ weight loss efforts. Social support within Internet weight loss communities merits further evaluation as a weight loss resource for clinicians to recommend to patients. Understanding these communities could improve how health professionals evaluate, build, harness, and manipulate social support for weight loss."

http://www.apa.org/topics/obesity/support.aspx

And last but not least- THE MAYO CLINIC
    http://diet.mayoclinic.org/diet/motivate/social-support-for-weight-loss?xid=nl_MayoClinicDiet_20151021
    "If you don't have a weight-loss support team, use these strategies to create one. If you do, take advantage of your team's help and let them know how much their support means to you. According to research, having friends or family members who are supportive of your healthy eating and exercise goals is important for long-term weight-loss success."

They even suggested creating a team, chilibean :)

Gee, if this is what you really wanted, why didn't you say so to begin with?
  • bugsypemberton
    Options
    You're only accountable to you. I doubt many care to the extent we like to think they do

Nice point.

I have been struggling as to what to say here. This is a personal journal of thoughts, journal of a personal nature of one's days of activities and events, what's being eaten for dinner and actual reading of the recipes.. confused in this matter and using this platform.

Actually Roxie, no, it's not a "personal journal". Its an open recounting and sharing of thoughts, insights and maybe even some recipes and products.

I have to wonder though: why dump on someone else trying to get healthier? Maybe lemonychild doesn't care about my struggles and thoughts. That's okay. But if she really believes others don't care to the extent "we think they do", then why bother to tell others her thoughts and ideas, etc?

This platform is called a "message board", Roxie. It doesn't specify what kind of message you put up, as long as you follow the rules outlined in the website terms of service (TOS). Which my posts certainly do.

I chose this venue because I do not want to hide my problem any more. Oh, I guess I could blog it. And the blogs allow you to hide your posts. That's the very thing I do NOT need to do. Even if nobody reads what I write here, I am still being open, for the first time since this struggle began!

So for you, Ms Roxie, and others who say they're confused, I hope this explanation helps.

A lack of transparency only works if you're in government. ;) For the rest of us it only messes up our lives more.

Because I did not elaborate on my post/comment does not mean in any way.. the use of the terminology you used to imply in any way that I was "dump on someone else trying to get healthier"..

I do agree with many others though that this platform is meant for something a bit different.

edited to add as I forgot this idea: you can create a GROUP in MFP and ask people to join you in this particular "theme" you are wanting people to engage in with you.

If this thread here bothers you that much its perfectly okay to skip it, isn't it? I dont go the threads I don't like reading. I peek in, see whats there, if its not my thing I leave.
  • bugsypemberton
    Options
    JennieMaeK wrote: »

No body is forcing anyone to read a particular forum post. For me personally I look at the most recent posts and click on on the titles that sound interesting, or where I can relate, or if I think I have some insight. Maybe if your title was more accurate you wouldn't be receiving this type of feedback. We can chose to click on a post, so purposely making in vague is a bit misleading. Even having "Putting it out there - my accountability blog" would at least give people an idea of what the post is about.

Nothing vague nor misleading about it. My very first few posts explain it all. But at least you have a constructive criticism. I'll take that and run with it. Except its not a blog per se. Its a forum.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Nice point.

If this thread here bothers you that much its perfectly okay to skip it, isn't it? I dont go the threads I don't like reading. I peek in, see whats there, if its not my thing I leave.

Oh my dear.. Perhaps all things are getting lost in translation and maybe a bit headstrong... And lastly, I provided another method that is not a blog but a Group environment in which you have your own forum similar to this one that is created to be tailored for specific group setting of the same interests and you have your very own platform. Good luck with all this..

• bugsypemberton
    Options
    So last night I was standing in WalMart. Not the best place to be after a depressing day on MFP's forum.
    JennieMaeK wrote: »

I tried to institute your suggestion but there's no function to allow changing the title of a thread :(
  • bugsypemberton
    Options
    bul·ly1
    ˈbo͝olē/Submit
    verb
    gerund or present participle: bullying
    use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force him or her to do what one wants.
    "a local man was bullied into helping them"
    synonyms: persecute, oppress, tyrannize, browbeat, harass, torment, intimidate, strong-arm, dominate;

In case anyone doubts the definition.

Anyway, so last night I got to thinking about the events of my life that involved emotional eating. Bullying, I have to say, has taken center stage.

I was never the biggest girl in my class until puberty. When it came along, seemed like June busted out ALL over! In any given group photo, I was the easy one to spot. The One Rotund. I assume others have dealt with being the biggest or close to it?

To make things even better, I was also the girl with glasses. Back then there wasn't the concept of health insurance like we have (or used to have- no politics please) today. No, you paid for everything! And that included eye exams and glasses. But for a family of seven, doing so wasn't an easy feat.

So, we got the most affordable glasses which, in my case, were these blechy cat-eyes glasses. I know, they're kind of 'in' now. But when you're fourteen, and the other kids are wearing cool wire frames? Um, not so good.

Bullying back then, for me anyway, wasn't as overt as covert. It was summed up in giggles and snickers and, on occasion, those words every overweight girl dreads hearing: "you have such a pretty face...."

Those are usually followed by "if you would only lose some weight".

I tried fighting back, quietly, internally. Surprise! It doesn't work.

I tried losing the weight. After all, maybe if others weren't so uncomfortable seeing my little fat self then they'd leave me alone, right?

That's the worst reason to lose weight.

It hasn't always been about weight, glasses or other exteriors per se. It's also been bullying simply because others feel uncomfortable with openness. Whether it was in writing or art, or any other medium, down through the centuries, whenever someone strikes a nerve, there's an attempt by someone (or someones) to silence them or bully the person into following "the crowd".

We MUST conform! Frank Sinatra sang a song about that: "I did it YOUR way". Unfortunately, that particular version never made it out of the studio.

So last night, as I stood there in the WalMart, seriously considering an .89 pack of white macadamia nut cookies (three for less than a buck? Yeah buddy!) I felt this strong urge to yell. To scream. Not at people but at the cookie! And then I realized: I've spent a lot of time on this forum responding to people who, in their own little subconscious ways, are trying to bully me. Thus bringing back all the emotions I've had whenever I felt bullied in the past. Correction: not felt bullied- WAS bullied.

Rather than yell at the cookie, I decided just to put on ignore those who use this thread to derail my success in keeping up with it. Those who want to read snarky comments can. From here on out, perhaps for the first real time in my life, I am going to turn my back to bullies and walk proudly away, just like I did with that cookie last night.

• EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    " one day at a time" ," be nice to yourself as you would a friend", " take it easy", " how important is it?"," you are strong and you can do this!" i personally have tried so may alternatives, paying a lot of money to lose weight. to my surprise this site has taught me to eat right and in proper proportions, simplicity.....expend more than you take in. all these years to finally get to this simple conclusion. i can eat all of my favorites if i make room in my diary, add exercise but i do not eat back the calories. so simple, but media wants to make it so complicated to sell whatever is the in diet. to me this is a lifestyle permanent change, not a diet, just a way of life." one day at a time!" jen
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options

exactly.
This discussion has been closed.