Runners, I need your help! EMERGENCY!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• missig0587
    missig0587 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also have a 1.5 mile required run for my job. The only thing I can suggest is work some core exercises into your routine. 2 yrs ago I tore my quad and was unable to run for 2 weeks. I pretty much worked only my core and upper body and when I got timed I had knocked off 45 seconds. I think you'll do fine. Try not to over-think it too much. Good luck and congratulations!
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just an update....The test ended up being postponed until this past Saturday. I got in a good bit of practice beforehand and was able to run the 1.5 miles in 13:15, a minute under the required time!!!! Yay! Thank y'all for the suggestions and encouragement! :flowerforyou:
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Just an update....The test ended up being postponed until this past Saturday. I got in a good bit of practice beforehand and was able to run the 1.5 miles in 13:15, a minute under the required time!!!! Yay! Thank y'all for the suggestions and encouragement! :flowerforyou:

Yay! Congratulations! I always aspired to be a police officer. I have a law enforcement degree, but I also have a bum knee that keeps my 2 milers around the 20 minute mark, so I have pretty much given up on that dream.

Best of luck to you in the rest of the process :happy:
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm in no dire need to get quicker in a short space of time like you but I have recently been setting the treadmill for 15 minutes and seeing how far I can get in that time. I've been doing this with intervals so one minute as fast as I possibly can, then down to my normal running speed for a minute and then back up to as fast as I can. Its making my normal speed feel really slow so I think I can now make my normal speed a bit faster.
    I would say try intervals, on the day you should have enough adrenaline to make you faster anyway, as soon as you know your near the end I'd give it all you've got... steady pace for the majority but really go for it at the end.
    You can totally do this, you seem so determined and you want it and thats what really counts.
  • LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    Well done!!! Enjoy your new career!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    thats fantastic :) congratulations :)

I thought this was a new thread.... so it was really nice to read the ending not just the situation :)
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options

That's awesome congratulations!
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Interval training is great. Remember to take a rest day before the day of the timed run.

In general, inter-mix hard days with easier days. Easier days can have intervals with fast periods.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    O I C I am late to the party.

Congratulations on reaching this goal and starting a new career. :drinker:
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • katiewebster77
    Options
    If you are running on a track at a stadium try and get hold of some spikes. They give you the added grip on a track and will increase traction, help you gain momentum as though you were on tarmac. Interval and hill training on the runns you do every other day, sprint up and jog down a hill. good luck
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    For one workout, 2 lap warm-up, stretch, then Sprint the straight away, jog the curve, and do that for 4-6 laps.

Good Luck!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Thanks for updating us. Way to go!!
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've got this in the bag! I find that I'm always a little faster under pressure (in races, etc) so I'm sure you'll be fine :)
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Congrats! So excited and happy for you! :) Have a blast!
  • krismonaco
    krismonaco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, do not go so extreme that you hurt yourself and are unable to do the test. Just keep running and doing your best. The extra weighted backpack or vest might put extra strain on your body and you may injure yourself. You definitely don't want to do that with this great opportunity coming up.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Yay!!! Good for you!:)
  • uneik3
    uneik3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! I'm sure you'll do great. Plus as a little bonus, I always notice that my half marathon times are always a good bit faster during the race itself with the adrenaline than anything I could force out in training.