I'm a Runner!!

Options
_Zardoz_
_Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
Today I think I can officially call myself a runner. I've been struggling getting into this running business for a while. I tried the C25K but didn't get on with it I don't like wearing headphones while doing it and the constant listening to instructions bit didn't wok for me. So for the last 2 to 3 months I've been doing a variety of routes with my own Run a bit walk a bit routine (including some of it with my dog). I never could work out why I couldn't get the running bits any longer. I was confused as I should have the fitness with all the swimming and walking I do. I just couldn't work it out. Maybe I'd never make a runner?

Anyway the other day I was looking around the boards and and saw a post from someone who was having similar problems. i read the advice and everyone was telling the person to run slower and that speed would come in time. So tonight I tried it I started slow to my mind painfully slow I must admit I was trying to put out of my mind what other people would think of someone running that slow. Anyway I ran past the normal first stopping point and continued to go. I even then ran up the hills. One and half miles later I was home and I hadn't stopped once. Normally on a route I end up walking 4 or 5 times I ran the whole thing and I felt comfortable in fact very comfortable. Yes my overall time was in fact a minute slower than my run walk time but I ran the whole thing. Let me say it again I ran for 1 1/2 miles!! So as I managed to run my 254 pound frame continuously for a mile and half as far as i'm concerned I can call myself a runner! Hopefully some speed will come in time.

I'd like to thank the people of MFP who gave that advice even if it wasn't directly for me it worked.

Replies

• kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Go you!!!!

Fantastic achievement, well done!!
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Great job! I always wanted to be a runner too. I used c25k and it worked for me, Glad you found away to make your self a runner. Congrats it feels great to run!
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!

I myself have always wanted to become a runner, but I find it SO difficult on the treadmill. I'm also WAAAAY to self-conscious and nervous to go out and do it on my own on the streets or at the park. :frown: I wish I could get over that. I wish I were brave. I wish I didn't worry so much what other people thought about me. I wish I could quiet my inner voice that tries to convince me that others are thinking negative thoughts as I struggle. Ya know?

So.... BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!
    On so many levels. You rock!! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!