Smoothie help and thoughts

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider a breakfast with 40+ g carb, less than 10 g of protein, and almost no fat to be the best choice for someone who is pre-diabetic, but I suppose if it fills you up and helps you maintain a calorie deficit so you lose weight, that's a good thing.

Can you get a referral from your doctor to see a dietician who specializes in pre-diabetes nutrition? Or at least get yourself a book written by a dietician, rather than seeking idea from random people on the Internet. (e.g., I found the The Pre-Diabetes Diet Plan by Hillary Wright, R.D., somewhat helpful when I got a blood sugar reading in the pre-diabetic range, although honestly I didn't follow it that closely -- I found losing weight and getting some exercise to be more helpful).

I had the same reaction as expressed in the first paragraph, and I think this is really good advice.

I've been obsessed with smoothies this summer (mine tend to have about 350-400 calories, which is the same as any other breakfast I have, plenty of vegetables as well as fruit, and at least 25 g of protein, and I'm not IR so don't care that they are high in sugar, although mine are also quite high in fiber), but if I were IR (pre-diabetic), I probably would try to focus on a more balanced meal with fat and protein and fiber along with the carbs. I know it might be hard to figure out what you like at first if not used to breakfast, which is why a dietitian could help.

If you don't like common breakfast protein sources like eggs (good fat source too) or something like oats with greek yogurt and berries and nuts, another possibility is just leftovers from another meal. Many people have tendencies to go high carb/low protein at breakfast.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I am not hungry in the morning which is why I went the smoothie route. Hoping at some point it will coax me into wanting regular breakfast foods shortly and then I can do that instead once I get in the habit of eating. Doctor has only advised weight loss and a sugar recheck in 3 months but I know that losing weight will help with those sugar numbers. I've bought eggs and will be doing eggs and toast probably. I have oatmeal but it's flavored. This is so hard!

I'm not hungry first thing in the AM either. I make a smoothie, and when I do get hungry, that's when I start drinking it. I often don't have lunch until 2-3 PM, and it's less caloric than breakfast.

8210611eeb0933047677875f6941e62d.png
    I add a pinch of salt as well.

this is a much better option. Notice how the smoothie is practically evenly balanced in calories from carbs, proteins, and fat.

If someone wanted less calories, they could play around with the components - use smaller eggs (this was an XL), reducing the bananas or flaxseeds, etc.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    While there are some studies that show extra benefits might be had by people who eat a larger breakfast, for the most part meal timings are irrelevant when it comes to losing weight. Your total calories over the course of the day is what matters the most.

And truth be told many people reverse a pre-diabetic condition by losing a substantial amount of weight.

If a breakfast helps you control your eating throughout the day then by all means it is a good idea.

Your breakfast does sound a little bit to carb heavy for an ideal pre-diabetic meal.

I would definitely examine the idea of drinking vs eating your calories.

I would play with higher protein sources such as Greek yogurt 0%, flavored protein powder. I would also consider fruits and vegetables that are perhaps less caloric then bananas and grapes. Look into frozen strawberries or blueberries. Looking to carrots or celery (celery taste may be overpowering so use cautiously).

However in general I have personally found that smoothies help absorb the carbs and sugars in the fruit faster than eating the same. And this doesn't sound right to me for what you're trying to achieve.
  • csummer8882
    csummer8882 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Back to the drawing board I guess.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes meal timing is irrelevant for losing weight, but it's probably different for people who are pre-diabetes... although it could just go away as OP loses weight, no? Don't diabetics have to eat breakfast to keep their blood sugar stable? I admit I'm clueless about this... and I'm guessing that pre-diabetes doesn't have the same restrictions...

Anyway, my mom is diabetic and she starts the day with bread, sugar-free jam, and butter. Yeah, I don't exactly get it either...

OP, I'd go with oats with nuts or eggs and whole wheat bread or something (I like adding some kind of bacon or sausage).
  • csummer8882
    edited September 2016
    Options
    yh42n2spzyya.png

Is this better?!?! Peanut butter banana and apple and flax seed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, did the doctor want you to eat breakfast due to blood sugar issues, or because he said it would help you lose weight?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

For me, that wouldn't be enough protein, and would be too many carbs for the calories. Has your doctor discussed macros with you? How about you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian?
  • csummer8882
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, did the doctor want you to eat breakfast due to blood sugar issues, or because he said it would help you lose weight?

Both!

• csummer8882
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

For me, that wouldn't be enough protein, and would be too many carbs for the calories. Has your doctor discussed macros with you? How about you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietitian?

No he didn't. I'll ask for a referral.