banjo fat

Options
I had gained 5 pounds this last winter for reasons I could not fathom. I was logging meticulously. I was exercising. I was alway under my net calorie goals.

Confirmed tonight what I had suspected. Last October I changed from a fitbit zip (worn on my belt) to an apple watch (worn on my right wrist). Figured out tonight that playing the banjo, which I do several hours a night, will add a few hundred calories to my daily exercise reading. Oops.

That was enough to gain 5 pounds. Fortunately, I've lost 3 of that. And from now on, I'm removing the watch while I play.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Jeepers - I'll need to remember that if I ever get an Apple watch! I'm not as dedicated as you, hours-of-practice-wise, though, so it probably wouldn't be as much as 5 pounds . . . .

:D
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Just when I thought I'd heard them all... Love it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just as well you didn't play a violin I suppose!

Thanks for the giggles. :)
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Nice detective work…so glad you figured it out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The second reason I didn't get a bracelet-type activity tracker.
  • amethyst_1504
    amethyst_1504 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and when I crochet for a little while I can accrue over 1,000 steps!
  • PeterJX
    PeterJX Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thought this thread was about a sequel to Deliverance.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that at the local high school where she teaches, they had a competition for who would move the most. The choir director won the first month.. and the second.. it took several months for them to figure out that the motions of his hands when playing the piano were triggering MASSIVE step counts.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Imagine what a drummer can do?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    A friend told me that at the local high school where she teaches, they had a competition for who would move the most.

We had a contest like that. I turned the wrist band into a cat collar and got a robotic laser pointer. Won the competition by a country mile!

(Kidding.)
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    :D
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    A friend told me that at the local high school where she teaches, they had a competition for who would move the most. The choir director won the first month.. and the second.. it took several months for them to figure out that the motions of his hands when playing the piano were triggering MASSIVE step counts.

My son's third grade teacher was also in such a contest. She attached her fitbit to one of the boys each day at recess...
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've heard in the news that people far more technologically savvy than me can use fitbits and the like to steal your pin code with an impressively high accuracy based on the movements they record. Unintended consequences FTW
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was in church and looked down at my watch to see that I'd gotten 5000 steps in the last hour... of sitting. I realized afterwards that it was because it was tracking me using a handfan as steps. Now, I wear the watch on the other wrist on Sunday morning. My mom had something similar with winding yarn.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I play in a hand bell choir. There were two ladies who had recently started wearing fitbits and as they came in one was saying how she hadn't gotten all of her steps yet but thought she could get them in before the end of the day. At the end of the rehearsal she looked down and said "wow, I guess I got all my steps". She was getting lots of steps ringing her bell. I was glad my fitbit one was clipped to my bra. This was not long after I got my fitbit and I had debated on getting a wrist worn one vs a clip on. It definitely made me feel like I made the right choice.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I play in a hand bell choir. There were two ladies who had recently started wearing fitbits and as they came in one was saying how she hadn't gotten all of her steps yet but thought she could get them in before the end of the day. At the end of the rehearsal she looked down and said "wow, I guess I got all my steps". She was getting lots of steps ringing her bell. I was glad my fitbit one was clipped to my bra. This was not long after I got my fitbit and I had debated on getting a wrist worn one vs a clip on. It definitely made me feel like I made the right choice.

My mom always gets around 1K steps when we rehearse bells. Interestingly, I don't find that I get as many as her (and my part is usually busier, since I have melody notes and she has bass chords).
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    The exact same thing happened to me when I played guitar with my fitbit charge, I was confused for the longest time! Added 1500 steps per day almost.