Squats to make butt bigger without losing fat?

Options
nichollelovexo
nichollelovexo Posts: 4 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and I need some help! Here's a little background, I'm currently on a weight gain journey. I'm 5'2 and 84lbs, super underweight (lost weight due to stress, not eating correctly). My goal weight is 98-110lbs, I am a pear shape, when I gain weight it goes to my butt and thigh area. So my goals are to be at a healthy weight so that my legs and butt can get bigger, and I can just overall look fuller. Right now, I have a big butt for my frame (genetics), it's not huge or small but it's not really how I want it. I was reading the squatting makes your butt smaller if it's made of all fat (which i'm pretty sure mine is). I was wondering if there was a way to build the muscles on your butt underneath the fat? So like, keep the fat, but build muscle so it sticks out more and is perkier. Is that possible? I am an absolute noob at fitness so I can take all the help I can get!

& these are my goals; see how their butts look lifted?:

9qjbzdfds46u.jpg

bt8ru528bet0.jpg

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    It's extremely hard to lose fat in a consistent calorie surplus - it's just an energy store so if you are in a energy surplus you are very, very unlikely to have a net fat loss over time.

You do know that fat doesn't turn into muscle I assume?

Good luck on your journey back to a healthy weight.
  • nichollelovexo
    Options
    Thanks for the help! So are you saying that squats aren't really going to do anything since it's just fat?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help! So are you saying that squats aren't really going to do anything since it's just fat?

Squats work muscle - not fat. Your bum isn't all fat or you wouldn't be able to walk!
    Of course squats are going to help.

Bret Contreras' Strong Curves gets a lot of good reports if you want a program rather than just one exercise.
  • nichollelovexo
    Options
    Ah okay, that makes sense. Gonna look into it, thanks again!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie surplus
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think you are thinking of people in deficit doing squats to retain the muscle while losing fat. If you are in surplus you should be fine and can build muscle to help build the shape and size etc. Mind you will also gain fat while gaining weight (unfortunately you can't control where fat goes).

As @sijominal mentioned, Strong Curves is a great program and probably what you are looking for
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i won't pretend i really relate to your goals . . . i'm 51 and do compound lifting like squats and deadlifts because i like to do it. i don't look at my own bum very much, and i don't encourage other people to tell me what it looks like to them

but with that said . . .
    I was wondering if there was a way to build the muscles on your butt underneath the fat? So like, keep the fat, but build muscle so it sticks out more and is perkier. Is that possible?

ime you're right. that's pretty exactly what happens if you do a strength programme without doing anything to reduce your fat stores. you just grow more muscle under the fat.

it's like inserting a cat under a counterpane. counterpane might still be fluffy, but it ain't going to be flat.