Diabetes

Options
I found out I am diabetic. Is there anything I should know, learn, etc. concerning my food and any diabetic info for MFP. Any information you can give me would be truly appreciated.

Replies

• AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Can you have your doctor set up an appointment with a registered dietician who has experience with diabetes? That's what I would do.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Get a referral to see a Certified Diabetes Educator and/or a Registered Dietician.

If you're a type 2 diabetic, what might be important for you is figuring out how many carbs you can eat while keeping your blood sugar levels within goal (it's not just sugar you have to watch, because all carbohydrates are broken down into glucose). If you already got a blood glucose meter, use it to see what certain foods and food portions do to your blood sugar (test before you eat and then 1-2 hours after eating to see how much your BG "spikes" with that meal/snack). Diabetes is not a one-size-fits-all disease, so it's important to figure out what foods work best for your BG (some diabetics have issues with oatmeal, while I am able to eat a cup with some nuts without too many issues -if I even look at potatoes though I can expect to go into the 200s).
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    The two previous posters are correct. See a registered dietician. They are a tremendous help and your insurance will probably cover it since your diabetic. I would also try to find one that works mainly with diabetics.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will improve your diabetes and it can go into remission for some people.
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also have Type 2, I have found that carbs have a greater effect on my blood sugar than sugar does. So I am more careful with those numbers. Also, losing weight and regular exercise has really helped. I maintain "normal" numbers now, but I do have to monitor a little closer to keep from going too low. Diet and food advise from a registered diabetic educator really helped. Try an avoid getting advice from those without specified training. Good luck...with a little work, it will become easier and easier for you!
  • chrisg676
    chrisg676 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Are you Type 1 or Type 2? Big difference. My wife is Type 1 (insulin dependent, 4 jabs a day). She does carbohydrate counting. This has been a bid help in her controlling her blood sugars.