Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Can I gain muscle mass with a calorie deficit

Options
If I stay above my BMR and below my TDEE and lift weights, will I be able to increase my muscle mass?
I will be eating high amounts of protein and lots of fruits and vegetables...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,746 Member
    Options
    If I stay above my BMR and below my TDEE and lift weights, will I be able to increase my muscle mass?
    I will be eating high amounts of protein and lots of fruits and vegetables...
    If you're a "seasoned" exericser, then probably not. Adding mass means increasing energy use. That usually means a surplus in calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brianparow
    brianparow Posts: 17
    Options
    By "seasoned" exerciser, if you mean in good shape, then no...
    I have been very fit most of my life but over the last 8 years I gained over 60lbs (mostly if not all fat).
    I want to lose the inches and the fat and also want to increase muscle mass.
    I've lost 8lbs in the last 3 weeks through mostly eating pretty healthy and 1/2 hour cardio 5 days a week.
    So, if I start weightlifting and keep my TDEE-BMR deficit to about 1000 will I be able to gain muscle mass while losing fat?

Note: I plan on getting the BodyMedia Link to determine TDEE before starting weightlifting...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I have been very fit most of my life but over the last 8 years I gained over 60lbs (mostly if not all fat).
    I've lost 8lbs in the last 3 weeks through mostly eating pretty healthy and 1/2 hour cardio 5 days a week.
    So, if I start weightlifting and keep my TDEE-BMR deficit to about 1000 will I be able to gain muscle mass while losing fat?

Note: I plan on getting the BodyMedia Link to determine TDEE before starting weightlifting...

What he means by "seasoned" exerciser is if you already workout regularly.

For people who are new to working out, they can add some muscle mass on a deficit, which is known as "Noob gains". Usually around 5-7lbs or so. Other than that, no, you cannot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,746 Member
    Options

For people who are new to working out, they can add some muscle mass on a deficit, which is known as "Noob gains". Usually around 5-7lbs or so. Other than that, no, you cannot.
    whierd is correct here. There is evidence that returning athletes who had exceptional muscle mass, then taking a long layoff, can rebuild muscle on calorie deficit, however as mentioned if you've been exercising the whole time, then it's not gonna happen.

IDEA Fitness member
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

whierd is correct here. There is evidence that returning athletes who had exceptional muscle mass, then taking a long layoff, can rebuild muscle on calorie deficit, however as mentioned if you've been exercising the whole time, then it's not gonna happen.

IDEA Fitness member

Muscle rebound effect? Yeah, I've read about it as well. In fact, it has happened to me after a 10 year lifting hiatus.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Generally no. Sometimes yes, but only if you're very new, very fat, or on drugs. And even then for the first two, noon gains top out fast. You need food to gain quality long term muscle.