Drinking a gallon of water

Options
My first day of drinking a gallon of water it's a shame but I have never literally drink a whole gallon of water it was a little bit different the water is tasteless we already know that but when you drink a lot of it just gets a little boring but I finished it and the bathroom was my best friend I feel really good my question is how to keep drinking and not slack off any ideas?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    A gallon??? That is an awful lot of water. Unless you are very obese, that much water is really overkill.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I drink a gallon every day, sometimes as much as 1 1/2 to 2 gallons like exercising in hot weather or during sodium/carb cycling. The best way to do it is to pace yourself, I like to do 16oz every hour on the hour from rising out of bed until about an hour or 2 before bed.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have at least 164oz a day... I don't drink it all at once but I do drink all day. Sometimes *gasp* I add a bit of crystal light or sweet water drops for a flavor treat! :smiley:
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    You don't have to drink a gallon of water a day, you're probably getting water through other drinks/food/etc. There's no reason to force yourself if you don't want it. Though, you could try some flavour drops like another poster mentioned.

I drink around 2 gallons a day because I stay incredibly thirsty all the time. Not because I force myself to drink it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Unless you really sweat a lot, a gallon of water a day is overkill. The body absorbs water from food we ingest as well as other drinks, so trying to force yourself to drink a gallon of water will usually result in one thing................going to the bathroom alot.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of water, you can add an enhancer to it (Mio, Crystal Lite, fruit infusion) or drink something you like.

I drink water because it's calorie free and don't cost me money. I get 3-4 Litres a day and am still alive.
  • zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am obese 200 pound 5.2 i workout 5 days a I want to be able to drink lots of water I heard that drinking a gallon of water is good for you I didn't think it was over killing but thank you so much for recommending the other stuff that I can add to enhance the water
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    zahra59 wrote: »
    I am obese 200 pound 5.2 i workout 5 days a I want to be able to drink lots of water I heard that drinking a gallon of water is good for you I didn't think it was over killing but thank you so much for recommending the other stuff that I can add to enhance the water
    Drinking water is essential for life, but the amount one needs to drink isn't scientifically established. The whole drinking one gallon a day is a broscience tip that hasn't shown scientifically that it needs to be done.
    Drink enough water so you aren't thirsty or dehydrated. For many, the basic 64oz a day is enough (that's half a gallon).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • zahra59
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Drinking water is essential for life, but the amount one needs to drink isn't scientifically established. The whole drinking one gallon a day is a broscience tip that hasn't shown scientifically that it needs to be done.
    Drink enough water so you aren't thirsty or dehydrated. For many, the basic 64oz a day is enough (that's half a gallon).

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank you for the information I always heard drink one gallon lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From reputable sources?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    People who push the whole "gallon a day" thing are caught up in a fad of sorts. I'm not talking about people who just like to drink that way or feel it benefits them somehow. I'm talking about the ones who answer "how do I lose weight/get healthy" with "step one: drink a gallon of water!" I remember one from a while back who actually said "it's brutal, but you get used to it." Why? Don't make yourself get used to something brutal when it also happens to be completely unnecessary.
  • zahra59
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From reputable sources?

Actual my dietician told me
  • zahra59
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From reputable sources?

Actual my dietician told me and the Internet

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From reputable sources?

Actual my dietician told me and the Internet

"The internet" is not a reputable source. When my brother's mental illness was untreated, he found all sorts of things on youtube that supported his warped world view.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

From reputable sources?

Actual my dietician told me
    If your dietician is being sincere, drinking a gallon of water a day isn't going to help you lose that much weight. EATING LESS than you need to will.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    1 gallon is 3ish Litres, right? I drink that much everyday in summer, but struggle to get 1.5L in a day in winter. Just drink to your thirst level, don't force yourself.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    1 gallon is 3ish Litres, right? I drink that much everyday in summer, but struggle to get 1.5L in a day in winter. Just drink to your thirst level, don't force yourself.

A gallon is nearly four liters.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

A gallon is nearly four liters.

yowsas , OP definitely no need to force down that much water. I live in one of the hottest, driest states in Australia and very, very rarely drink over 3L in the middle of summer, and i exercise outside too.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I drink 80-100oz of water a day. 87.3oz is my goal and it was calculated using age, gender, and weight. As I lose weight it changes. I use a free app called "drink water" (not the most creative name lol) and it calculated my goal. It also reminds me to drink during the day. I love it and feel amazing drinking water now. The first month when I started tracking it I peed a lot and didn't like it.