What do you use for motivation?

Ok so I'm 5'0, 18, and I weight 210 pounds... I gained most of it from my pregnancy my daughter is 5 months now. & I know it will take time to get to the weight that I need to be especially for my height but how do I go about things when I lose motivation?? How do I keep my self motivated... After I get in shape I plan to sign up for the Air Force but I know I have ways until then.

Replies

• bugsypemberton
    bugsypemberton Posts: 46 Member
    Ok so I'm 5'0, 18, and I weight 210 pounds... I gained most of it from my pregnancy my daughter is 5 months now. & I know it will take time to get to the weight that I need to be especially for my height but how do I go about things when I lose motivation?? How do I keep my self motivated... After I get in shape I plan to sign up for the Air Force but I know I have ways until then.

Hi there Ava. Nice name!

I know a young man who is presently in the Marines. It was a lifelong dream of his (Semper Fi!) His motivation to lose weight WAS the Marines. He didn't wait til he lost it to sign up. He went to the recruitment office.They told him he had to lose weight (he had to drop 75) and they signed him up so he could participate in the weight loss program offered through the military for recruits.

It was grueling, he said. But he was motivated by his fellow recruits and others around him. Mostly by his goal.

Go to the recruiter office. Tell them your desire and dilemma. Ask them if they still have a program for this for new recruits.
  • svincent21
    svincent21 Posts: 5 Member
    Results are addicting. That's what I use!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    My motivation method: "stop doing the same things and expect different results". Its really a simple saying that says it all and its not just for this, but everything that relies on me to be proactive, start a goal, finish a goal or change something that has become "stale" and needs an upgrade.

I think my "body" and "health" will always be part of a goal and always need an upgrade from time to time.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Standing in front of the mirror in my underwear :laugh:

I actually use this as motivation sometimes. Lol
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    What motivates me is seeing the scale move down. If I have a rough week where I don't seem to lose, I think about the fact of it...if I jump back into my old ways, I'm only going to end up back where I was miserable.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    What motivates me is remembering how painful it is to wear a foley for three weeks in the hospital. Not going through that kind of pain again can be a very strong motivator.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    My motivation is to have a good health to be able to do anything I want to do. If I want to run or swim or climb, I will be able to do it because I'm fit to enjoy it;
  • 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    What motivates me is seeing the scale move down. If I have a rough week where I don't seem to lose, I think about the fact of it...if I jump back into my old ways, I'm only going to end up back where I was miserable.

That's totally my motivation! To know I'm doing something right by watching the lbs and Oz keep going down...
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    My primary motivation is that working out successfully treats my depression. But secondarily, knowing that I'll (probably) be old someday, and I want to be mobile and active when that day comes. I've known 70-year-olds who could out-ski and out-hike me when I was in my 30s and early 40s. I want to be like those guys when I'm their age.

But the real key is to just do it, motivation be damned. If you're looking for something external to motivate you, it's not going to happen.

It all comes down to this: You have to want fitness more than you want to eat Twinkies and watch TV. Most people don't.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    My first motivations were 1) to rock my wedding dress, and 2) to stop my lower back pain.

Along the way I discovered a few more motivations: I LIKE lifting weights, my clothes fit better, I feel strong inside and out, the planks and yoga positions get easier, and the knowledge I'm building bone strength which is so important for women.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I've decided that I can't wait to be motivated. I just have to try to do my best to make healthy choices each day.
    I stopped logging for a while last month and didn't feel motivated to start again... so i decided to start logging even if I wasn't making the healthiest choices. I find that just the act of logging what I'm eating makes me more conscious and more likely to eat a better amount of food that gives me nutrition, rather than just eating whatever, whenever. So, I guess for me, it's more about getting into the habit of logging that waiting until I feel motivated.
  • bmclogins
    bmclogins Posts: 29 Member
    Death.