Another New School Year! Here We Go Again!!

Options
missdonielle
missdonielle Posts: 15 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi! My name is Donielle. I'm a Paraeducator here in my areas school district and a T2 Diabetic. I love-love-love my job!!! But, with all the stresses that go along with my profession, (working with students having special needs) I find it hard to pass by goodies in the staff room, classroom, or buy myself a sugary snack just to calm my stress a bit. Chocolate is my go to-feel good snack when under stress.
So, with said, between no-no snacks during the workdays and water weight gained from my Fibromyalgia medicine, Lyrica, I've gained 20 lbs. this past school year.
With the help of myfitnesspal, logging in each day's meal items, and exercise, I've been able to loose some lbs! But, I've got a ways to go. My goal is to loose 50 lbs. That would get me somewhat near my goal weight. Small increments are a good start....10 lbs. at a time.

Replies

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    First, thank you so much for being a para. I don't know what I'd do without ours.

But I'm an elementary art teacher, and can understand how stressful it can be. One thing I try to do is keep healthier snacks on hand so I'm less inclined to eat what's in the break room. If I do, I always half a serving and leave the rest for someone else.

Although I know some go without, I also make sure to get a breakfast full of protein. It gets me through my hour commute and through the morning because I don't get lunch until after 12pm. So going 6+ hours without food is killer for me if I go without a good breakfast. But everyone is different there.

Good luck this year!
  • missdonielle
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words and supportive comment/tip!
    Good luck in the new school year!
    Hugs!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I used to be an emotional eater but now use exercise to manage stress.

Chocolate was my go-to as well. I always have a small amount (70 calories) after dinner, and during the rare times I "need" it during the day, I have a small amount of Ghirardelli chocolates chips that I eat very very slowly, letting them dissolve one by one in my mouth. By the time I've had 70 calories worth, my chocolate itch is totally satisfied.

Wishing you well finding your own new healthy habits.
  • missdonielle
    Options
    That is a good idea to try! I'll try that with a few chocolate bits in a baggy/in my purse, provided I get any time to snack
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I just started a job at a charter school in a low-income neighborhood in Brooklyn. During pre-service I was good and never snacked...two days after class started I was literally shoveling bagels in my face. This is going to be hard. We can do it though!
  • missdonielle
    Options
    Yes we can! I'm glad you totally understand what I'm talking about.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yes we can! I'm glad you totally understand what I'm talking about.

I understand...My classes are stressful too. So many of my kids have serious issues at home. The second day of class and someone already threw a chair, swearing...ahh...In the case of stressful jobs like this the BEST thing we can do is take care of ourselves, eating well and finding time for activity are two ways to do it!
  • missdonielle
    Options
    Totally understanding! Towards the last day of fifth grade, ( this past year)my student ( I'm a 1on1 para in a Gen Ed classroom) had a meltdown due to a change in the class schedule. After throwing a chair, yelling and cussing, and some more throwing, it took three of us to restrain him! Stress!! On the way home, I ordered for my family, 2 large pizzas and a small chocolate cake. Comfort foods
  • arditarose
    Options
    Totally understanding! Towards the last day of fifth grade, ( this past year)my student ( I'm a 1on1 para in a Gen Ed classroom) had a meltdown due to a change in the class schedule. After throwing a chair, yelling and cussing, and some more throwing, it took three of us to restrain him! Stress!! On the way home, I ordered for my family, 2 large pizzas and a small chocolate cake. Comfort foods

Friend me if you want!
  • missdonielle
    Options
    Ok, but how do you add as a friend in this community?