Does scrambling two eggs really double their calories?

Options
sfcrocker
sfcrocker Posts: 163 Member
edited September 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I've noticed that if I put two eggs into the tracker, such as poached, it's about 150 calories but if I slelect "scrambled" then the calorie count jumps to 300 or more. I'm assuming that, as long as I use cooking spray and just a dash of water to make the eggs fluffy that the calorie count isn't really that high. Is is correct or is there something about scrambling an egg that makes it more calorically dense?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Use the recipe builder to add scrambled eggs to your diary. The scrambled eggs in the database was user created and you have no idea how much fat was used.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think the difference refers to the traditional recipe for scrambled eggs which includes milk, cream and butter.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You're using someone's personal entry. Weigh YOUR eggs, enter them by weight, and enter any cooking oil you use. That person may have had some heavy eggs and a good dose of olive oil.

You should get into the habit of doing this for all your food. You really don't know what anyone else is using in their recipes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I would log everything you used individually, or make your own recipe in the builder. If you use someone else's entry in the datsbase, you have no idea what they used. Sounds like they added butter, milk, and maybe some cheese.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Usda Br 01123 - Egg, Whole, Raw, Fresh, 100 g This describes 2 large eggs and is 143 calories. It is the USDA description of eggs.
    Usda - Olive Oil, 1 g This describes the spray oil. Yes, I weighed it once. It is 9 calories.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    I would log everything you used individually, or make your own recipe in the builder. If you use someone else's entry in the datsbase, you have no idea what they used. Sounds like they added butter, milk, and maybe some cheese.

Yep. I log the eggs, the milk I put in it, the cooking spray, and anything else I may throw in (cheese, sausage, spinach) separately.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I don't use the MFP values ever. So many of them are way off. I just use the info on the product package and account for what ever I add to it also. Much easier that way.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Use USDA values and build your own recipes as was stated above. Many users don't pay too much attention to the information they add into the database so it's full of bad entries.