New scale...

Options
This might be a silly question but I bought a new scale because I felt my old was was becoming inaccurate. I'd get on it one day and then the next I was 5 lbs heavier. I know weight fluctuates, I know people say you shouldn't get on a scale everyday but I believe everyone is different. It's hard for me to stay off the scale when I'm trying to lose weight. It keeps me on track and it keeps me motivated.

Anyway, my new scale is consistently 4-5 lbs lower than my old one but I feel like I'm cheating myself logging in the new scale weight. Should I just ditch my old scale and go by the new weight?

Replies

• Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I also bought a new scale. Every morning, my weight is different. It's only by a little but I don't trust scales. Mine told me that I'm obese. (It has body fat percentages and stuff)

I say use it as a way to judge if you are losing but learn the right way to measure yourself and just focus on how your clothes fit and if you see a difference in your appearance.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    You didn't believe your old scale. You don't believe your new scale. Pick one.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor digital scale and it has always been accurate and matches the scale at Dr office and gym. I recommend this one.
  • lsulliv0800
    lsulliv0800 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Speaking of scales...anyone use the fitbit scale? If I move it slightly in any direction, it changes 5lbs up or down...which I am just gonna go with whatever the higher weight is. Anyone have this problem?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Have you new scale people tried changing the batteries before buying new scales? That's the first thing I'd do if my scale went wonky. After that, I'd be sure to always weigh myself in the same spot. I line my scale up with a specific spot on my floor to be consistent.

With your new scale, put something on it that you know the weight of so you can see if it's off. A dumbbell, a bag of flour, etc.

But as @kpk54 said, pick one. Then just stick with it. You really just need a way to gauge the amount you've lost each week, not your exact weight. You aren't testifying about your weight under oath or using your weight to calculate a life-dependent medication. Exactness isn't absolutely necessary.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I get what you mean. Except in reverse. My old scale started becoming very inconsistent (no batteries to change, btw) and so I bought a new one. It weighed me about 2 lbs heavier. Ugh! I didn't want to switch. But I finally got fed up with the old scale and made the jump by entering the new (higher) weight. I weighed a 20 lb weight and the new scale read 20.6 while the old one said 19.2. You really do have to pick the one that's more consistent and go with that. You can weigh something you know the weight of to figure out how accurate it is. I get that you don't want to cheat but you aren't. You'lol determine your final goal weight as you get really close anyway by how you feel and how you look. Consistency is what is needed. Precision and accuracy is nice to have. But as long as it's close, isn't critical. Good luck!
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Buy scales that you can calibrate. Then you can move them around and you won't get a confusingly different reading. Having said that I find most of the digital scales you buy are unreliable and can not be calibrated.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Great idea on weighing something that should weigh specific like a weight .. ^
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have two scales and I can stand on both within a second of each other and both of them will log completely different weights and be off by up to 3 pounds. It's normal because they are two different products. Just pick one scale and stick with it. But I will note that if you are moving these scales around, it needs to be calibrated first before weighing in every time it is moved. When I say calibrate, it needs to turn on...reset to zero...turn off...then turn back on and then weigh in.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    20shan08 wrote: »
    This might be a silly question but I bought a new scale because I felt my old was was becoming inaccurate. I'd get on it one day and then the next I was 5 lbs heavier. I know weight fluctuates, I know people say you shouldn't get on a scale everyday but I believe everyone is different. It's hard for me to stay off the scale when I'm trying to lose weight. It keeps me on track and it keeps me motivated.

Anyway, my new scale is consistently 4-5 lbs lower than my old one but I feel like I'm cheating myself logging in the new scale weight. Should I just ditch my old scale and go by the new weight?

Do you have some dumbbells? Add a 10 pound dumbbell or a 5 pound bag of sugar and see what it weighs. That should let you know if your scale is right. I generally add dumbbells. So far, my scale is accurate.