My name is Nicole and I struggle with binge eating.

Options
I'm 27 and I've never really struggled with my weight before. I had my 2nd child 15 months ago and the battle began with depression and binge eating. I can't tell you how munch money I've wasted on ice cream in the last 8 months and how much I've hit rock bottom emotionally.

My husband "deployed" 8 months ago. I quote that because he is actually stationed in Korea for 12 months which may be extended to 13 or 14 months give or take. Our family could not get sponsorship to go with him and he stated that if we would have gotten it, he would have had it removed and made me stay in the states with the kids. He feels that it's not a place for his family. Here I am tho. I weigh 20 lbs more than my husband.

I tend to eat a lot in one sitting. I grew up being the bean pole that could chow down on any thing and nothing happened. My goals are to learn portion control, stop snacking at 1 in the morning, and to lose the 25 lbs to get me to a normal weight. Once I reach that goal, I want to give myself more goals. As of right now, I am making small steps by waking up and giving myself small goals to meet daily.

I just need to do this for myself. I want this for myself and I really want to feel better every day. No more crying and no more joking around about my extra chins. No more comparing myself to other wives who are in shape. I intend on being one in 2 months and staying that way.

Replies

• healthymommu
    healthymommu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It must be so very hard ! I will be happy to be your support if you wanna be
    Mine ❤️
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am also a Nicole who was a bean pole growing up. I was until I started having kids. I never learned good eating habits because I didn't need them when I was younger.

I'm 20 years older than you are, though. :)

You can do this. Just keep track of everything you eat. Eat more of the things that make you feel full so you aren't as hungry. For me, that's things with protein, but keep track of what you eat and how you feel so you know what foods will keep you from feeling too hungry. If you aren't hungry, you're much less likely to binge.
  • obsessednpossesed
    Options
    I can definitely use the support and I intend on staying active on this app and getting to where I want to be. My friend that I recently met has introduced me to this and I think it's really going to help me with portion control and staying out of my fridge. As well as make better grocery shopping choices. You can add me if you want.
  • ElleMay1978
    ElleMay1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! I struggle with binge eating too! I have started mfp again and need to lose around 30-40lbs. Add me if you like!
  • LaLaDuke08
    LaLaDuke08 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Small steps are the way to go. I would love to support you in your journey. Just say the word!
  • vanessa40
    vanessa40 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi Nicole, I am a binge eater also. My highest weight was around 250 i have to guess because i stopped weighing myself at 230 and it was a couple of months after that i decided to lose weight. I got down to 118 but it took awhile. I now bounce between 125-135. I like to be at 125 but my emotional eating get the best of me sometimes..being here helps me..you can always connect with someone no matter the time o day or night. I will add you as a friend..Good Luck
  • lindamtuck
    lindamtuck Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a binge eater also. I tend to not eat all day then binge on junk food all evening. I was in hospital recently for depression and gained 30 pounds. I lost some before my daughters wedding in August but it seems after the wedding I went back to my old ways. I am starting a new plan given to me by my gym and I am hoping it will help
  • obsessednpossesed
    Options
    Thank you ladies :) the more support the better. Feel free to add me. I always bounce back and fourth with my habits as well, so I def know how you guys feel. After looking at the goals and changes I want to make, I'm literally changing every thing. I'm pushing myself to get 6 hours at the minimum of sleep each night. I also struggle with not getting enough sleep. I blame that mainly on stress and literally being attached to my phone.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    A book I'm reading which might be useful for you:

Overcoming Binge Eating
    Dr. Christopher Fairburn
    ISBN 9780898621792
  • emilyannrose97
    emilyannrose97 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with binge eatibg and eating disorders for 4 years. My eating habits are getting better but when I go off track I really go off and for a week or two at a time. I want to get it under control and loose 15 pounds. Feel free to add me!
  • Runningman_78
    Runningman_78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Im still in the mentality that I can eat what I want and continue to not gain weight. Unfortunately here I am 20lbs more than I want to be and finding it hard to reign in the bad eating habits and portion control. One day im great, then the next its like I can reward myself for being so good...bad cycle that Im also trying to break. You definitely arent alone. Kids also make it harder, especially when you focus more on them than yourself. feel free to add me too
  • ashleyNJ08
    ashleyNJ08 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Girl I get it. I binge every day but today was the first day i didnt. We are going to get control of this! Ill be active on this app too. Just started today. Add me so we can help motivate eachother :)
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too, and I know that days where I don't get enough sleep are the hardest to keep the bingeing under control. So that would be a good place to try to improve on to make it "easier" on you.

Going to a professional to talk to as well would probably be helpful to get to the root of all this. Its not just about resisting a binge but figuring out why we started.
  • nmatthew1005
    nmatthew1005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is nicole as well I feel ur pain I'm 27 as well as yourself are u hungry or are u thirsty?? And drink so water instead of eating junk or eat lots and lots of watermelon
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hello Nicole. Add me if you like. Be happy to help
  • obsessednpossesed
    Options
    Water is something I need to drink more of. That is something I have intentions on working on along with getting enough sleep and enough activity during the day. I'm feeling so optimistic about sticking to my goals since downloading this app and I've been treating it like Facebook. In fact, I've been logging, and posting more than I've been on Facebook. I kept my calories at my goal level yesterday and woke up ready for coffee and food. @gems74, I have considered therapy to help because I'm sure a lot of my eating is triggered by emotions and depression. I honestly didn't know that binge eating was a real eating disorder until lately.