Always been underweight

Options
Now I'm vegan because I'm having health problems with meats and dairy.
Same weight, but harder to gain.
I bounce between 90lbs to 105lbs. Within a year
I'm 5'4"
At 26 years old.
I've tried everything
My body doesn't take well to must things..

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good question for a nutritionist.

Good luck!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through this. I understand. I have a malabsorption disorder. But, there are many different types, causes, reasons, etc. It helps to work with a health professional. And to find out if there is an underlying reason (condition).
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you're going through this. I also struggle with gaining weight (I am trying to maintain for now), but I have an autoimmune disease. I am on an AI Paleo Protocol for it, and it helps a lot. Have you been tested by your doctor for anything? At least have a comprehensive thyroid, histamine, and hormone check. I hope all goes well.
  • BobbyBooSh4y
    BobbyBooSh4y Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First thing is first, be patient. I can relate, let's keep it simple for now and say

if you aren't gaining any weight, it's because you are burning more calories than you are eating. Increase your calories slowly, the goal isn't to get fat.

Can you post your current diet, and if you workout, how many days you workout and cardio?
    How many calories are you eating?

Take a look at this, find your TDEE, the link will be provided, now this is an estimate of how many calories you burn each day. To gain weight you want to eat above this number. If your TDEE is around 2000, try adding 350 calories to your daily marker and check your weight every week. If no weight is gained try adding another 150 to each day and check weight after week.

(Coming from someone who use to be very very skinny/anorexic) Feel free to friend me, and message. I don't mind helping :)

TDEE Calculator http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

So this thread might help. Since you have an autoimmune disease you will need to play with the types of food.. peanut butter, nuts, avocado, gelato, etc.. can be good starting points. Drinkijg calories can help too. The biggest thing is being in a consistent surplus. Increasing meals can help too
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You really need the help of a RD, and not just a nutritionist because anyone can call themselves that, If you are having medical issues with food and not gaining then it's best left to a professional rather than a random fitness board. Good luck to you.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Track the daily amount of calories you're consuming. Make sure you're actually eating more calories than you burn. If you're eating an excess of calories and still not gaining, you can bring in the log of caloric intake to a dietician and work from there.
  • izzyrhunt
    izzyrhunt Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just because your a vegan doesn't mean you can't gain weight please don't give up!!!
    Try adding healthy fats to your diet. Ex: nautral peanut or almond butter, avocados, olive oil, and nuts. You can also start swapping fresh fruit for dried because dried has a lot more calories but still has the nutrients.
    You can also drink almond or coconut milk. That way you still get plenty of calcium.
  • sarahi_jesus
    sarahi_jesus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have also been trying to gain weight myself.. A few years back I lost the little weight I had due to depression and since then couldn't gain in back. Now I'm 90lbs and struggling to gain back my weight and tried doctors but keep telling me I'm ok,it's just my fast metabolism
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I have also been trying to gain weight myself.. A few years back I lost the little weight I had due to depression and since then couldn't gain in back. Now I'm 90lbs and struggling to gain back my weight and tried doctors but keep telling me I'm ok,it's just my fast metabolism

Nobody has a "fast" metabolism.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Can you clarify this? If I weigh the same as my friend (and all other things being equal), but I have much more lean muscle, wouldn't I burn through a given amount of calories quicker than her (metabolize faster)? I thought that was one of the points of recomping- lean muscle requires more energy than fat to maintain. Not trying to hijack this thread, this is just point of confusion for me when reading the forums. Feel free to just link me to another post that explains how these things jive together (lean muscle vs fat, and no "fast metabolisms"). Thanks!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Can you clarify this? If I weigh the same as my friend (and all other things being equal), but I have much more lean muscle, wouldn't I burn through a given amount of calories quicker than her (metabolize faster)? I thought that was one of the points of recomping- lean muscle requires more energy than fat to maintain. Not trying to hijack this thread, this is just point of confusion for me when reading the forums. Feel free to just link me to another post that explains how these things jive together (lean muscle vs fat, and no "fast metabolisms"). Thanks!

I guess it depends by what you mean by "fast" but metabolisms do have a variance just like anything else. Variance for BMR is about 6-8% so an outlier could be over 16% faster or slower but that's a very small portion of the population and likely due to medical conditions.

Extra muscle actually doesn't raise metabolism by very much but the exercise involved in adding and maintaining it certainly burns a lot of calories.

Here's a link to get you started https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

• ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Wheelhouse15 I see some research in my near future.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that it's more likely to be about malabsorption than a fast metabolism. But are you logging what you're eating? The simplest explanation is just that you're under eating.

Btw, I have IBS issues from time to time, so malabsorption is a problem for me (including any medications), but I GAIN weight during these bouts. I gain because I load up on sugary fatty carbs. Short term it boosts my nonexistent energy levels and a belly full of fatty carbs feels good. Scrapey foods like fruits and vegetables, are a no no.

Nutrition is important of course, but just increasing volume of calories might help.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    @ItsyBitsy246 I think that @Wheelhouse15 concisely answered your query. Higher lean body mass or extra exercise increases your TDEE but not your metabolism.