Carb Substitutes

Options
I am looking for carb substitutes or low carb versions of pasta and potatoes
that I can us in soups. Something "edible"! :-) Any suggestions?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you want low carb? It is not required for weight loss. If it is not for a medical reason, just have a reasonable portion of pasta/potatoes and make it fit into your calorie goals.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Alot of people will tell you veggie noodles. I don't like them much. Doesn't replace noodles for me. I like the edamame noodles which are edamame beans formed into noodles so they are super high in protein and are all around better for you than plain pasta. There's also black bean ones. Don't fear carbs, just make better choices with them.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    How about cauliflower as a sub for potatoes?

ETA: For noodles, you could try the suggestions above for edamame or black bean noodles. There are also shirataki noodles which might work, and depending on the soup, perhaps cabbage?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat pasta and potatoes and other carby foods, you need to eat more meat and fish and other fatty foods. Not exactly substitutions, but they are edible.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I like julienned broccoli stems (sometimes sold as broccoli slaw mix) or cauliflouwer stems as a carb substitute in soups. I add it late in the cooking process so it's still toothsome.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    In soups? Lots of soups don't have pasta or potatoes. Use winter squash or root vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips), or just vegetables depending on the kind of soup. I'm a fan of soups with lentils or other beans, but of course they are "carby" too, although they also have more protein.

Add some source of protein if it is intended as a meal.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If it's for soup, just leave out the starchy component of the soup!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    For noodles, I will sometimes use spaghetti squash but I find it simplest just to skip the starchiest carbs. Take a bit of extra of something else and just move on. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I like julienned broccoli stems (sometimes sold as broccoli slaw mix) or cauliflouwer stems as a carb substitute in soups. I add it late in the cooking process so it's still toothsome.

Brilliant!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    In soups? Lots of soups don't have pasta or potatoes. Use winter squash or root vegetables (carrots, turnips, parsnips), or just vegetables depending on the kind of soup. I'm a fan of soups with lentils or other beans, but of course they are "carby" too, although they also have more protein.

Add some source of protein if it is intended as a meal.

And much more fiber.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Yep, beans and lentils are fiber powerhouses.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Yep, beans and lentils are fiber powerhouses.

Yep. I love em! Great source of lignins! And, for those reducing carbs, higher fiber is better.
    I must admit, I ate a cup of beans/lentils a day when I was losing. Gave me good energy, a full feeling, and, well...fiber!
    I'm eating them more now with menopause because of the lignins.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You can use radishes in place of potatoes.... It's actually really good! If you boil a radish until the "redness" turns opaque like a new potato, most people can't even tell the difference. Below is a picture of my Crockpot Chicken Green Chili Stew. Tastes amazing and I've served it to many people. I've asked each one about how they liked the "potatoes" and they said loved them... even though it was really radishes, they never knew the difference. LOL

75ar2n2pgspi.jpg

I love radishes and had never thought of doing this!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I always think that boiling a radish would ruin what's delightful about radishes (the bite plus the crunch). Is there some reason why you'd use radishes instead of turnips?
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I always think that boiling a radish would ruin what's delightful about radishes (the bite plus the crunch). Is there some reason why you'd use radishes instead of turnips?

Because turnips don't taste like potatoes, they are the same consistency, just nowhere near a comparable taste.
    And why couldn't you have both LOL Raw, when you want that crispness and cooked when you want the taste of a potato without all the carbs.

Just a note: I grew up on turnips, grew them, canned them, ate them raw etc... but they are a very different taste and sometimes an acquired taste for most people. :smile:

• Chrismadison100
    Chrismadison100 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the perfect substitute for mashed potatoes...... Mashed Califlower.

Take a couple of Califlower and boil them. I use a slow cooker for about 6 hours. Then drain the water and using a hand blender, I blend it until it is creamy. For added flavor , I sometimes add some garlic, sage, chives for color. Then I save it is plastic containers and freeze them. I usually eat one per meal.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash or any spiral cut squash for pasta, and cauliflower mashes nicely
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have the perfect substitute for mashed potatoes...... Mashed Califlower.

Take a couple of Califlower and boil them. I use a slow cooker for about 6 hours. Then drain the water and using a hand blender, I blend it until it is creamy. For added flavor , I sometimes add some garlic, sage, chives for color. Then I save it is plastic containers and freeze them. I usually eat one per meal.
    Even better with a touch of feta.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Take a page from Julia Childs, ccook some celery instead of potatoes for a side dish.
    Cauliflower as some others have said already. Makes great pizza crust, soups, and "rice". Costco and Trader Joes both have it pre riced so super easy.
    Try asparagus and leek soup instead of potato and leek.
    Cabbage soups are great in the fall.
    Pumpkin soup is popular at our house.
    Bake chicken with cherry tomatoes and garlic instead of potatoes.
    Beef and mushroom soup.
    Someone mentioned radishs, they can be fried like potatoes.
    Bake kale leaves for kale chips, add parma cheese, yummo.
    Just grab a listing of low carb veggies or google low carb soups and side dishes, you will find thousands of recipes.