Scared to move to maintenance because of weight gain

So I think I'm at the weight I desire and I know I should be at maintenance, but I'm super scared to gain weight and fat. I keep hearing that the fat loss will disappear as soon as I increase calories but I think the mentality is getting to me. Any advice/before-and-after pics would really be helpful and motivating to me! P.S hit me with a friend request! I promise I don't bite

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Also congrats on your loss
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Agree with the other posters fat loss will not disappear when you're in maintenance your fat level will stay where it is as long as you don't overeat.

As far as the scale don't get fixated on one number you will drive yourself nuts. Give yourself a plus or minus range to work with. Your body is constantly in a state of change. The only time your weight will ever be constant is when you die.

I have access to scales at work and as part of the learning process when I went into maintenance I started to weigh myself multiple times during the day. My weight could fluctuate 1 to 5 pounds depending on what time of the day it was and under what conditions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Agree with the other posters fat loss will not disappear when you're in maintenance your fat level will stay where it is as long as you don't overeat.

As far as the scale don't get fixated on one number you will drive yourself nuts. Give yourself a plus or minus range to work with. Your body is constantly in a state of change. The only time your weight will ever be constant is when you die.

I have access to scales at work and as part of the learning process when I went into maintenance I started to weigh myself multiple times during the day. My weight could fluctuate 1 to 5 pounds depending on what time of the day it was and under what conditions.

Weight fluctuates 1-5 pouns per day during weight loss as well. Once you've proved this to yourself, weigh only ONCE per day, first thing in the morning. Multiple daily weigh ins are pointless for weight management purposes.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    hina2398 wrote: »
    So I think I'm at the weight I desire and I know I should be at maintenance, but I'm super scared to gain weight and fat. I keep hearing that the fat loss will disappear as soon as I increase calories but I think the mentality is getting to me. Any advice/before-and-after pics would really be helpful and motivating to me! P.S hit me with a friend request! I promise I don't bite

@hina2398 this is a very common fear for many of us. I moved to only drinking water vs. soft drinks that took out needless calories.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Easing into it slowly might help calm your fears too. When I moved into maintence, what I did at first was tell MFP that I wanted to be at maintenance, saw the calories it gave me and then set a custom goal about 75 calories under that and just ate at that tiny defecit for a couple weeks, to which I discovered, I was still losing weight, so I bumped the calories up another 50 and found that was perfect. Now, my weight fluctuates a few pounds back and forth, depending on what I eat, etc... Your weight will always move around a bit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I know what you mean. I just upped it 250 of the 500 calorie deficit to see that it really was okay. When I felt comfortable, I upped it some more.
  • Longevity100
    Longevity100 Posts: 84 Member
    hina2398 wrote: »

Congrats on reaching a weight you desire. It's understandable to be scared about weight gain at this point. Take refuge in the fact that you developed some positive habits to get to your desired weights. Follow those same habits as you move forward. Start by slowly increasing your calories every 2 weeks and monitor what happens. If you have any questions make sure to post them here and people will be happy to help.
  • SR_403
    SR_403 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm very close to entering maintenance after spending the last few months losing 30 lbs. I'm also scared of regaining weight when I up my calories. It's a lack of faith in my will power that makes me nervous about possibly falling back on old eating habits. But I like the advice about upping my calories slowly until I find that sweet spot where I'm neither gaining or losing weight.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    I did go up too high on cals and gained back a little bit of weight (a few lbs more than just glycogen refueling.) It's been hard mentally to cut cals back again after the luxury of extra cals daily. I think what I wish I had done instead was stick with my original dieting plan of eating lighter Sunday-Thurs, maintenance cals Fridays, and do my hikes followed by a scrumptious dinner out on Saturdays where I could have applied those little bit of extra cals I got back at maintenance rather than spreading them out daily.
  • johnnylloyd0618
    johnnylloyd0618 Posts: 303 Member
    justified fear, but it is only fear. I do find it more tedious "maintain" weight. But that's just me. I find it harder to actually meet my calories versus being under. Just continue logging your food, it will give you a good gauge.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Just ease into maintenance: this will take some of the "sticker shock" of the water weight gain that can come with upping your calories.