Any other Brazillian Jiu Jitsu Practitioners?

Options
It seems that most of this board is taken up with people just going to the gym and trying to lose weight anyone else here practice Brazilian jujitsu and do sport specific conditioning? I'd like to chat about that :)

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    no - but I do capoeira :)

In the past all I did was capoeira (before I got fat and all that post baby stuff).

NOw I concentrate more on weight training but still go to capoeira once a week. HArder to juggle with a child. Gym I can do at lunchtime during my work hours.

I know though that it is possible, good and FUN to get fit healthy and muscular doing martial arts only without having to lift weights.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Capoeira . Isn't that a dance?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    not really. it looks like it is because that's the only thing they show - "dancing" and jumping around doing acrobatics and stuff.

That's not the reality that's unfortunately the "show" capoeira.

In reality it's a proper martial art (I have done Hap Ki Do, Karate and Muay Thai in the past) - we train hard in terms of the warm ups with bodyweight exercises - sit ups push ups lunges and all sorts of other stuff, we do kicking drills of various types of kicks, etc

the difference is that we "dance" when we "fight" - you have to keep moving by doing the basic step which called a ginga (that side to side lungey thing) and we need to listen to the music in order to adjust the game accordingly - fast music fast game, slow music slow game. We touch contact but not full force in class.

eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kExNprYc_5Y&list=PLB5C77267AA07A397

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've just recently just started training in BJJ and I'm really loving it. At this point, I'm so new that I'm focusing on a lot of the basics and getting as much experience rolling as possible.

I'd love to hear what others are doing though and has been helpful for them! I'm doing BJJ 4x a week right now, and I'm also doing SL 5x5 (so lifting 3x a week) and recently started doing a bit of HIIT.

I want to learn all the things :)
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Training jiujitsu and muay thai for 2 years now...also running SS 3x a week.

Add me!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I love jui jitsu and my bjj family! By far the most fun way to train.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    BJJ blue belt here! Love it!
  • kattis81
    kattis81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just started BJJ, really good fun! I mainly train kickboxing so it's nice to have a bit of variety. Goes really well with yoga as well
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I got my GJJ blue belt from Royce in '96 and I'm still training
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I trained bjj for a couple of years along with kempo, aikido. Man did it tear me up. Its a ton of fun but hard on the body
  • TriciaFPal
    TriciaFPal Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What a great thread! Thanks! My son did TKD to BB so I might look into this. Thanks!
  • computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a few months ago and love it. Is there an active BJJ group on here?
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    @computerfox82 - I haven't found an active one yet. Folks just seem to pop in here every now & then.
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Judo here. I have been to a few BJJ classes but found the judo is more exhausting on the muscles and lungs.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I do muay thai, for fun and exercise. Will probably go to a sparring class tonight
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »

I'm a member of that group but it seems pretty dead ...
  • computerfox82
    computerfox82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Muay Thai looks so intense. I would love to take classes but don't have the time.

Maybe the group link mentioned above will be active again.