Starting out- how to lose weight when you're a picky eater??

Options
Hi all, if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry!

Pretty much, I'm 19, 4'11 and 154lbs. (Comfort eating, stress, and generally getting to comfortable around my partner.. Oops!) I want to shed this weight desperately and would love to get down to 8-9st. The only thing is, I don't know where to start. I'm probably the pickiest eater in the world. The only fruit and veg I like is peas, apples and oranges.. Haha. Pretty much, what is the best way to lose weight when you're so picky??? My calorie limit that was recommended is 1,200 calories a day, and I'm planning on also starting to walk every day.. Even if it's a short half hour walk, surely that's better than nothing to start off with.. Right? :D

Anyone able to give me some tips? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I was an extremely picky eater until I made a conscious effort to eat healthily... I don't really like a lot of fruits and veg but I just tried everything until I found stuff I didn't hate. In the end, I was really surprised about the things I couldn't stand that I now actually enjoy! This isn't nutritional advice, but taste advice - mask the flavour if you hate it! Veggies fill you up so you can cut your bread/potato/pasta/rice portions, bulk up the veg (which contains far fewer calories and far more nutritional benefit) and find sauces/flavourings you like to make them more palatable!

It's trial and error really. Personally, I find texture to be the biggest issue... I like raw onion and slow cooked onion, but I can't stand semi-cooked, slimy giant pieces of onion in food, same with peppers. I love green beans, asparagus and carrots IF they're cooked properly. Avocados are delicious when they're perfectly ripe, same with bananas! Don't forget that you can add things together too, I make a dip of plain yoghurt, raw spinach and sweet chilli beetroot, stick it in the blender, tadaaa and you can use it as a really healthy salad dressing- my favourite salad is baby leaves, avocado, cucumber, red onion, chicken and a few crunchy croutons.

Soups are a great option too, you can hide all kinds of veg in soup, mask the flavours with spices and herbs and blend to oblivion if the texture is a problem.

You have to train your brain to get used to it, there's still some things I can't force myself to like, but I've found plenty of things I do enjoy! :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories. You can eat what you eat now, just less of it.

Start logging and you'll be able to see where you might eat smaller portions in order to reduce your calorie intake.
  • jubyak
    jubyak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a garbage disposal for food, so unfortunately I can't sympathize with being a picky eater, but weight loss is a slow battle with your mind and stomach to learn how to eat smaller portion sizes. Not all calories are created equally, so it is obviously better to eat healthier foods if you can tolerate them, but even just eating smaller portion sizes of your favorite foods is a good place to start.

Also, sneaking new foods/vegetables into smoothies with your favorite fruits/veggies is a great way to hide the flavor of things you don't like as much or need to get used to. You got this! Keep trying!
  • jubyak
    jubyak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Plus I use Kernel Seasoning's popcorn shakers in white cheddar flavor to trick me into eating more vegetables sometimes. It's delicious and only has a few calories, so it's not as bad as dumping real cheddar cheese on your veggies.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a very picky eater, to the point where new food can make me nauseous, sometimes (thankfully rarely) to the point of vomiting. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to incorporate a new food successfully into my repertoire.

I mostly eat the kinds of foods I've always eaten, I just plan my meals better to ensure I meet my calorie goals.

I have been trying to incorporate new foods, too. I'd be open to any things that have worked for seriously picky eaters - while there's a vast amount of literature on picky eating as a childhood disorder, there is almost nothing I've found dealing with adults. I've been trying my own ideas on graded exposure therapy, where I ranked foods I wish I could eat from least to most scary, and have been working my way through the list. Apples were a hit, and bananas are now tolerable. Oatmeal hasn't been doing well so far, I still find it barely edible, which is a bit odd because I absolutely love oatmeal bars.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said to try all foods cooked or prepared in several different ways. It can take up to 10 tries before you like or get used to a food. I thought I hated olives, but I find them okay in bread/pizza or with this tuna thing I get. So, you never know.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Weight loss is all about calories. You can eat what you eat now, just less of it.

Start logging and you'll be able to see where you might eat smaller portions in order to reduce your calorie intake.

This. Calories are king! You don't have to eat foods that you don't like.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    http://www.healthyfood.co.nz/blogs/the-art-of-nutrition/2016/september/06/confident-eating This is aimed at parents, but there is some really good stuff in here. One thing you could do, is prepare food you aren't comfortable with or haven't tried before for other people, and just try a spoonful (especially if it is things they have confirmed they like).
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Picky eater or no picky eater, what's that really got to do with it? Eat less of whatever you eat. It works.