Carbs my downfall

Options
I lose weight much better when I control my carb intake. But I love carbs. Bread, chips, popcorn, ice cream etc, I thought the urges would get better when I decreased my carb level, however that does not seem to be the case. So what do you low carb queens or kings do to get by? Right now sugar is my craving. But salt is not far behind. A little help would be appreciated.

Replies

• vicky_b329
    vicky_b329 Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't personally do this, even though I know it would be best for me, but cutting out all sweet things, including diet sodas, crystal light, low carb/sugar free candy/meal bars/etc. would be the way to go. Eating for a week or two at a very low carb level (20-30 net carbs) with no sugary foods can be very effective. It's a terrible week to go through because you're basically in withdrawal. Carbs are kind of a drug. But after several days, your body gets used to functioning without glycogen, and the carb cravings go away. Or at least, the psychical ones do. You might still have mental cravings.

I cling to my diet sodas, even knowing that they are detrimental to my success. But I feel like I can control the sweet cravings through sheer force of will, and I love Diet Dr. Pepper...
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Carb cravings often mean your body wants more protein. And actually much of what you are considering carb-craving is actually fat-craving. I thought my cravings for tortilla chips, pretzels, licorice were carb-based. My trainer/nutritionist pointed out that it was actually my body craving healthy fats. I find that a half avocado, or some smoked salmon, or some almonds or peanuts satifies the cravings very well. Also, when I upped my protein intake, my cravings for pasta and bread went WAY down. I still love a good bread, but I don't want it nearly as much.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't your downfall, junk food is. I found myself wanting more when ever I would allow myself junk food. If I stay away completely and make all my carbs healthy food, fruits and veggies, I don't seem to crave it any more. It's easier to grab the chip bag than an apple or some carrots. I just have to keep the junk our of the house and then when I get the munchies I have to eat fruits and veggies.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I would try cutting out the diet Red Bull and the smoothie and see if that helps. My personal carb ceiling is usually around 150g, but I still do better when I spread the carbs out a bit, especially if the carb in question is on the sugary side like a smoothie.
  • heatherlea44
    Options
    Just started MFP, but I know (because I am 44 years old!) that all of the above will be a challenge for me....if I am feeling anxious or tired, I want to eat candy! Not even good candy, but the pure sugar stuff - Dots, Hot Tamales, Sweethearts, etc. I will try to make a conscious effort to have more protein and see if that helps - thanks!