I think the biggest reason for all my diet-breaking is trying not to eat at night

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    TatumDH wrote: »
    I work part-time at a retail store and most nights find myself getting home late (11:45PM at the latest sometimes). And I immediately want something to eat before I go to bed, but something comes over me at night; I lose all control and eat literally anything in sight. Knowing this, you'd think I could show some control but it's like a voice speaks in my head saying, "Aw who cares? You can start your diet again tomorrow." I've never lost weight. Only gained it.

I've read and heard that eating at night is bad for you but I just wanted some clarity here. If so, what can I eat so I'm not up again at 3am scavenging through my cupboards?

Thank you.

Sounds like you didn't eat enough earlier in the day and are legitimately hungry. Do eat more earlier, and also plan so there is a balanced meal ready for you when you get home.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I eat about 90% of my calories after 5:00, because I eat when I'm hungry, and I'm never hungry until later in the day.
    I also have a job that can have me at my computer until midnight, so I save calories for a late night snack.
    But for me, having the calories available is not enough. I have to have my snack planned and prelogged so I don't go on a 'free for all'.
    Tonight I know my work day is likely to end at about 10pm. I have a bowl of popcorn and a fudge pop prelogged. 200 calories. Something to look forward to.
    As soon as I finish eating it, I get up and brush my teeth. That's my signal that eating is done for the day.
    It's working for me and the late night snack helps me sleep also.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options

Sounds like you didn't eat enough earlier in the day and are legitimately hungry. Do eat more earlier, and also plan so there is a balanced meal ready for you when you get home.
    [/quote]

This maybe true for some people, but not all people.
    I can eat my calorie allotment and hit my protein macros and think I'm done (fill comfortably full and satisfied) for the day, and still feel hungry late night.
    For me and probably others too, that late night snack helps me calm down.