Birth control pills

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
edited September 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been eating way, WAY over calories for the past two weeks. Averaging about 2,600 a day (yikes!) and I just noticed I started taking birth control pills two weeks ago. Coincidence yes, no, maybe? I have PCOS and they're putting me on the pill to regulate my hormones before getting me started for my ivf transfer.
Sounds counterintuitive, I know. Wanting to get pregnant but they're first making me take birth control pills...
Anyway, I tried to be conscious of my hunger.. whether it's true hunger or just boredom, and I am truly hungry. If I don't eat when I'm hungry, I feel almost nauseous. Anyone?

Replies

• Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    In the long distant past I took birth control pills and put on weight. I can't remember now if I was hungry or not as this was literally 20 odd years ago. I didn't like the side effects from the various pills I tried - they all sucked - so I stopped.

But - I have heard from many women that when they STOP the pill they lose weight. So I think there might be some correlation.

Perhaps you can try different types of pills? HAve you asked your doctor?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Birth control hormones stimulate hunger. It's where the myth that birth control cause weight gain comes from. They make you hungrier, you eat more, you gain weight. If you don't eat more, you don't gain.

As it's only temporary, try to be more mindful of this and try to eat the most satiating foods. For most that's protein and fat as protein takes longer to digest. Try and fill up on low calorie foods that make you feel full longer and keep some low calorie snacks around for in between. You have to be far more diligent when on any medication like this.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've been eating way, WAY over calories for the past two weeks. Averaging about 2,600 a day (yikes!) and I just noticed I started taking birth control pills two weeks ago. Coincidence yes, no, maybe? I have PCOS and they're putting me on the pill to regulate my hormones before getting me started for my ivf transfer.
    Sounds counterintuitive, I know. Wanting to get pregnant but they're first making me take birth control pills...
    Anyway, I tried to be conscious of my hunger.. whether it's true hunger or just boredom, and I am truly hungry. If I don't eat when I'm hungry, I feel almost nauseous. Anyone?

Have you expressed your concerns to your doctor about the weight gain and that you are trying to lose? As far as I can remember the PCOS is caused by being overweight isn't it? I've known a couple of people in the way past who had it and struggled with their weight. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't do something that would be counteractive to your trying to get to a healthy weight but I would express my concerns to them either way. Seems odd they would use B/C pills when they know they cause weight gain while knowing you have a condition that is caused by weight gain. But they know what they are doing and it's probably only temporary anyway.
  • jskalouise
    jskalouise Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I started back on birth control pills recently, trying to regulate my cycles since I've been all over the place after I stopped breastfeeding my son. I was very aware of the weight I gained last time on them and this is my last resort, otherwise I would never touch them again. I've been trying to manage my eating, too. I keep picking at things. -.-

It's more important than ever to keep an eye on what you're eating when you're on birth control. I think almost all of them increase your 'hunger' but it's not real hunger and if you're overeating, you're going to get fat, which will not help your conception chances, especially with PCOS. PCOS can cause weight gain, too. It is a little odd that they've put you on birth control pills before IVF. I've never heard of that being done before, but if it works, it works.

I'd say it's not a coincidence, I'd say it's the pill making you want to eat more. But now that you're aware of it, it should be easier to avoid a high-calorie diet! When you're hungry, but you know you've recently eaten, drink some water and exercise, the feeling should go.

It would be good to speak with your doctor, as any weight gain will act against you while you're trying to conceive, so perhaps the birth control pills aren't the best option. Good luck with the IVF treatment by the way! Hope you get your baby soon. :)
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »

Have you expressed your concerns to your doctor about the weight gain and that you are trying to lose? As far as I can remember the PCOS is caused by being overweight isn't it? I've known a couple of people in the way past who had it and struggled with their weight. I'm sure your doctor wouldn't do something that would be counteractive to your trying to get to a healthy weight but I would express my concerns to them either way. Seems odd they would use B/C pills when they know they cause weight gain while knowing you have a condition that is caused by weight gain. But they know what they are doing and it's probably only temporary anyway.

Just to clear something up about your post... PCOS is not caused by being overweight. It might be one common factor for some women. It doesn't go away with weight loss either. Weight loss will help the symptoms though. I say this because I have PCOS and have dealt with it since I was 19. I weighed 135 lbs then and was on the healthy range at the time. It took almost another 2 years to start putting on weight.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and weigh 130. On the forums, it's considered "thin PCOS." I have no choice but to take the pill to reset my body so I can start progesterone and estrogen treatments for the ivf transfer. I'm more mindful about how much I've eaten and how often...but it doesn't stop the hunger. It's so frustrating. But it's only temporary, since this is my last week on the pill. Just wanted to see if other women face the same issues with birth control pills and how they managed it.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Just to play Devil's avocado here, I found being on the pill helped me to manage my weight. I get a variety of pretty bad PMS symptoms and just before my period I suffer from The Hunger, I also retain water to the tune of +/-10lbs for about 10 days from the week before my period. So in my case I lost the most amount of weight while I was on the pill because it controlled the monthly issues that were hindering my weightloss.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    Just to play Devil's avocado here, I found being on the pill helped me to manage my weight. I get a variety of pretty bad PMS symptoms and just before my period I suffer from The Hunger, I also retain water to the tune of +/-10lbs for about 10 days from the week before my period. So in my case I lost the most amount of weight while I was on the pill because it controlled the monthly issues that were hindering my weightloss.

Seconded. I feel like my hormones were regulated. After I wasn't wondering anymore if it was PMS or just cravings being fat.. became a lot easier. I know now the actual week before my "period" is when the hunger will strike.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Birth control hormones stimulate hunger. It's where the myth that birth control cause weight gain comes from. They make you hungrier, you eat more, you gain weight. If you don't eat more, you don't gain.

As it's only temporary, try to be more mindful of this and try to eat the most satiating foods. For most that's protein and fat as protein takes longer to digest. Try and fill up on low calorie foods that make you feel full longer and keep some low calorie snacks around for in between. You have to be far more diligent when on any medication like this.

I would argue that something that makes you really hungry all the time *does* make you gain weight. Because that hunger makes you eat (if it's bad enough). Maybe some people are okay being very uncomfortable 24/7, but it's not a reasonable expectation. (I get the distinct impression that different people experience hunger differently given some of the "no big deal; just have willpower" comments some people make.)
  • stacemyster
    stacemyster Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They put you on the pill to regulate your cycle as a lot of PSOS sufferers do not release eggs monthly! So by putting you on the pill which should be 21 days on and 7 days of this should help your body into a routine! As for the weight gain with the pill it is a little bit harder as people with PSOS can have a problem with insulin levels hence why people suffering this condition that are grossly over weight at prescribed a diabetic drug called metformin! But it isn't impossible to loose the weight as I am living proof with a four stone weight loss just by clean eating and making the gym my second home! Hope this helps x
  • yasmin19a866
    yasmin19a866 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was told I had PCOS in July of this year and started birth control in August. I've tried two types Minestrin and Altavera. Both of them caused some serious side effects, especially the second. I had heart palpitations and I gained twenty pounds in one month. What I'm getting at is that everyone's case is different, and if you feel different or your body is responding strangely, pay attention to see what's going on.