Cheat Day Regrets

Options
Went super overboard yesterday while I was off and home by myself. I just couldn't stop with the junk food and snacks and now (at work and feeling oh so regretful) I feel sick to my stomach (no surprises there). Anyone else go a a little crazy this holiday weekend...I can't be the only one! #regrets #backontrack

Replies

• kanaada
    kanaada Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I regret and do it again every weekend
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    lol, glad I'm not alone in that! Thanks kanaada :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Can you not keep those foods in the house for a while? And, if you plan to have "cheat" days, perhaps suspend that? It's hard to tell from your post if you were planning a cheat day as many here do, or if you just went off plan. But if you do have planned cheat days, maybe they don't work well with you.
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    akern1987 wrote: »
    Went super overboard yesterday while I was off and home by myself. I just couldn't stop with the junk food and snacks and now (at work and feeling oh so regretful) I feel sick to my stomach (no surprises there). Anyone else go a a little crazy this holiday weekend...I can't be the only one! #regrets #backontrack

I can't have those foods around because once I start I can't stop -- and no, eating a little on a regular basis has never worked for me.

I have a question. If you need the need to mow through the junk food and snacks, are you getting enough fat in your diet? It helps me to add avocado to salads, for example.
  • akern1987
    Options
    That's a good question, I think so? I try to eat a pretty good balance, but maybe I'll try to incorporate some more good fats in. I know I have been under the fat goal since I've started...never thought that was bad until you said that. Thanks!
  • akern1987
    Options
    Can you not keep those foods in the house for a while? And, if you plan to have "cheat" days, perhaps suspend that? It's hard to tell from your post if you were planning a cheat day as many here do, or if you just went off plan. But if you do have planned cheat days, maybe they don't work well with you.

Hi Sabine_Stroehm, yeah I planned it, but I didnt plan to go that crazy! That was a mistake, but the food that I bought was all just for one day, so I told my BF to take whatever wasnt opened to his office and to give it away (or eat it himself just not in the house!). (there was a lot of ramen and cheese doodles involved, lol)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I made cookies for my day off. I was experimenting with a recipe and while I created 2 dozen things that look like peanut butter cookies they, I'll just say, aren't even close. Undaunted, I had 4 and met all my nutrition goals for the day with a thousand calories to spare, so I guess not.
  • Neanbean13
    Neanbean13 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I used to think eating well during week was ok then have cheat days on weekends. Nope. Was blowing out my weekly cal limits. But weight loss is a long game so if there's a long weekend coming up who cares. It's one or two days of enjoying yourself. In reality u can't do that much damage in one day!!! If u go back on the scales and they up its prob water retention from the influx of salty processed foods and alcohol! It's if u doing it every weekend it will slow down progress...
  • WorkingToBeSkinny
    Options
    I had a couple of BAD eating days over the weekend but I started fresh on Monday and got back on track with eating a small bowl of plain chili (no cheese, no crackers, no toppings) for my daily meal.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of BAD eating days over the weekend but I started fresh on Monday and got back on track with eating a small bowl of plain chili (no cheese, no crackers, no toppings) for my daily meal.

That's not back on track k, that's back to severe restricting which will lead to binging again. If you eat more than 500 max calories a day you'd lose more as you wouldn't be binging so much plus you'd be so much healthier.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

Get back on track this week and you'll feel much better! Maybe try running or walking, increase that cardio to burn the extra influx of calories. That always helps me!
  • onelesschubbychick
    Options
    Maybe you should switch from having a whole cheat day to just one cheat MEAL a week. Trust me, you won't feel as guilty and whatever you're eating will be more enjoyable.
  • jester13
    jester13 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    But cheat meals taste soooooo good.
  • lilstry
    lilstry Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always count my calories on a "cheat day". That way I know how much I've set back my weekly deficit.
    Also on cheat days I never go past my TDEE so I actually never set back my weekly deficit.
    Count your calories even on cheat days and don't go past your TDEE, that way you won't regret anything.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

That's not back on track k, that's back to severe restricting which will lead to binging again. If you eat more than 500 max calories a day you'd lose more as you wouldn't be binging so much plus you'd be so much healthier.

Yeah, I agree with that.

Comparing this time (where I've successfully lost 130+ pounds) with the last time I tried calorie counting, the biggest change was that I set a much higher goal for myself. The maybe counterintuitive thing was I actually lost weight faster this time, in spite of a significantly larger goal, because this time I have a goal I realistically hit consistently, versus restrict-and-binge where I'd alternate between periods of very low and very high calorie days.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

The guilt is far worse for you than extra calories from going "overboard".
    It's really not a big deal and it won't ruin your progress.
    Also it can now be part of your success if you choose to learn from it. Look back subjectively to why you lost control to begin with. What were you feeling before and during? Including the weeks and days before.

Find your weakness and triggers, then instead of avoiding them, master them and take control over them.

Guilt tends to follow an uncontrolled action and we tend to lose control when we are feeling deprived.
    Realize that 1 bad day can not ruin 6 good ones just like one good day can't fix 6 bad ones.

Forgive yourself and take pride in what you've already accomplished and be excited for what you will accomplish.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much my view too.
    Maybe limit yourself to a cheat 'meal' if you do plan to keep having them, it's vey hard to have a cheat day and not just go all out on all the foods!!
    (I know, I used to do it!)

Good luck!!
  • flimflam87
    flimflam87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals imply just giving up on your calorie goals and just going nuts. After I've been logging my meals, I realize how quickly those calories add up, and how quickly they can destroy a weeks worth of progress!! However, it's not feasible for me to give up my favorite foods entirely. If I am dying for pizza I will go to the pizza place and have A slice rather than order a whole pie. If I have the whole pie at home with me I'm gonna eat way more then one slice.

So by changing my habit of calling up for delivery, I'm having my "cheat" and reaching my goals with no set backs!
  • greatatboats
    greatatboats Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I got orange chicken and steamed white rice from a Chinese place near my apartment. I don't regret eating it for dinner, but I regret that the portion size was so huge that I ended up also having it for breakfast and lunch the next day, because I didn't want to waste the money :/
  • RNinPitts
    RNinPitts Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter....I can eat it all day long. Most of the time I just don't buy it. It's a double edge sword though...as a train for marathons; it's the best carb to give my body fur easy calorie carb access.

Sooo on the long holiday week end...a teaspoon here, there and again add up.