Main Meal at Lunchtime

Hi

I'm a MFP noob and on day 4. I've spent some time browsing the forum and wanted to pose a specific query.

This sort of follows in with another thread I was reading about eating in the evening and how this relates to weight loss. I was just wondering if many people try to have their traditionally larger evening meal during the day at lunchtime and then have a smaller evening meal? I am aware lots of people are restricted doing this due to work commitments etc but have those who eat this way noticed any difference in weight loss and general feelings of energy levels etc.

I'm well aware that scientific theory suggests that it makes no difference when we consume our calories but I know people's feelings and perceptions often differ from accepted facts. ;)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I'm a big believer in doing what suits your day, and your preferences. Having my largest meal in the middle of the day would leave me sluggish, and leave me unsatisfied in the evening.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I'm a big believer in doing what suits your day, and your preferences. Having my largest meal in the middle of the day would leave me sluggish, and leave me unsatisfied in the evening.

I'm the same way.
  • ashleyfovargue
    ashleyfovargue Posts: 21 Member
    Yep, that was my thoughts about feeling sluggish in the day but then after reading some stuff online many seem to suggest that the body adjusts to this feeling. It is quite interesting how the whole idea of traditional eating patterns have been set, cereal etc for breakfast and bigger evening meal etc.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Try it and see if it works for you. Personally it wouldn't work for me because my family is only together for breakfast and dinner. Also, if I'm not satisfied at dinner time, I'll get up in the night and eat 3 granola bars.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member

Same for me. I prefer a good breakfast that will stick with me and then a lighter lunch (salad, soup, tuna, sandwich, etc) and then fish or chicken for dinner with any type of veggies either sauteed or roasted. I tend to snack later in the evening if I don't have a satisfying evening meal.
  • TangledThread
    TangledThread Posts: 312 Member
    I eat my first and largest meal at 10:30-11:00am. I love it. It keeps me me full and full of energy until supper.
  • GYATagain
    GYATagain Posts: 141 Member
    I've tried eating larger at lunch - but, then want to sleep at my desk during the afternoon. So, stopped that real quick. Thinking if I could eat a large lunch and then be active, that would be good. Doesn't count when the only thing active are my fingers typing all afternoon ;-) . I still try to not make supper real heavy. I mainly split my calories evenly between breakfast, snack, lunch, dinner.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    I don't get tired if I eat the right things. I usually eat alot of vegetables and legumes. When I eat alot of processed carbs, then at 3pm I'm tired.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    I generally eat a really big breakfast, a smaller lunch, and leave a good half of my day's calories for a huge dinner and nighttime snack.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Satiation and general satisfaction differ for everyone. Timing of eating has at most a minor effect on weight loss, and if it has any at all, it may be via ease of adherence to a calorie deficit.

So, experiment with your eating (within a healthy range of macros, micros, and calories), and see what routine leaves you feeling most full, energetic, and generally good. That will make your way of eating easier to stick with, which is one of the major factors in healthy weight loss - weight loss is a long term enterprise.

I need a substantial breakfast with protein, usually 3 main meals with a slight skew of calories toward evening, and occasional snacks (usually protein-y or high-volume/low-cal) if I start feeling hungry when it isn't nearly meal time. But others find different routines preferable.