Low carb diet & mild exercise - Protein shakes to reach daily goal?

Options
This is my 5th time back at MFP (I yo-yo). I am doing my low carb diet with some light jogging.

I have a hard time when it comes to eating >100g of protein.

Q: Do any non-body builders supplement with a protein shake (like 6 star) to reach their daily goals and control hunger?

1500 cal
Carb 113g
Fat 50g
Protein 150g

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I often do, and my protein is just moderate (20% at about 80g and around 1500kcal). I am not a huge meat eater so adding so protein powder to my day makes sure I hit my macros.

Your protein is quite high for someone who is not trying to actively put on muscle. You probably have some wiggle room there to replace protein with fats, if you wish to.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That isn't low carb, that is s low fat.

Stop yoyoing - stop fiddling around, eat properly.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As someone who puts in over 300g per day, yeah I use a lot of shakes. A: it's cheaper. B: it's more convenient. C: *kitten* eating that much chicken breast.

Personally, I recommend myprotein.com, as they are cheap as hell, pretty low carb, and turn over good lab results. The flavors also don't induce vomiting in me, which is kind of important.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    That isn't low carb, that is s low fat.

Stop yoyoing - stop fiddling around, eat properly.

^^This. I took a quick peek at your diary. The only full day you logged was just over 1200 cals. That low of intake is already setting you up to yo-yo.
  • snaapz
    snaapz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 2 fruit a day that I don't count. And I like to yo-yo, I love food and I love eating! I'll lose the weight and then eat normal for a while and then lose it again and I'm okay with that! I like pizza and chocolate and chips :)

But yes 1200 yesterday was low, the previous day my wife and I ate like pigs so I had some residual cals sitting around to.

I usually aim for 1450-1500 cals per day plus 2 fruit uncounted (I don't like counting fruit for personal preference)

Thanks for the feedback so far!

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    snaapz wrote: »
    I generally eat 2 fruit a day that I don't count. And I like to yo-yo, I love food and I love eating! I'll lose the weight and then eat normal for a while and then lose it again and I'm okay with that! I like pizza and chocolate and chips :)

But yes 1200 yesterday was low, the previous day my wife and I ate like pigs so I had some residual cals sitting around to.

I usually aim for 1450-1500 cals per day plus 2 fruit uncounted (I don't like counting fruit for personal preference)

NORMAL is my problem also. You have to find a way to restrict calories (somewhat) forever, or increase activity (somewhat) forever.

If your low(er) carb and mild exercise are going to be future components or your new normal, then you have a good shot at keeping the weight off. My suggestion, "diet" in a way that will (somewhat) resemble your new normal. Otherwise when you get to goal, you still haven't figured that out.

It's not okay to yo-yo back and forth for the rest of your life. When you lose weight you are at risk for lean muscle loss. When you re-gain the weight there's a very good chance (unless you are lifting heavy) that you aren't gaining that muscle back. Instead you are just gaining fat. Your body fat % could keep going up & up with each diet.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I do, because it's convenient and yummy! Quest Salted Carmel (with a little peanut butter) is my fav. Also toss in a few grams of chia seeds.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I do, because it's convenient and yummy! Quest Salted Carmel (with a little peanut butter) is my fav. Also toss in a few grams of chia seeds.

Quest's powders are delicious. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for protein powder. $20 a pound is a ripoff for anything that's not infused with gold. Porterhouse costs less than that. O_O
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I love them! I get Whole Foods brand chocolate whey powder. I used to make smoothies but I find them just as tasty with just organic whole milk, shaken thoroughly in a blender bottle. It is so satisfying after a long workout. I had been seriously slacking with my workout recovery meals and this is really easy and I don't have to worry about what I am going to have for dinner. Sometimes I get muscle milk in a pinch but they are so expensive and not as tasty as protein shakes with actual milk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Quest's powders are delicious. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for protein powder. $20 a pound is a ripoff for anything that's not infused with gold. Porterhouse costs less than that. O_O

Well, it's not a valid comparison to look at the price per pound of something dehydrated to something not.

There's 22 g of protein in 100 g of "Beef, short loin, porterhouse steak, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/8" fat, all grades, raw" and 20 g of protein in only 23.3 grams of my protein powder.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Thank yourself lucky @Gallowmere1984 .A tub of Quest protein powder is $60 here, a 12 box of their bars is $48.

OP i use protein powder everyday. Partly to make it easier to get in protein and because the brands i use are damn delicious!

• Ricksh1000
    Ricksh1000 Posts: 88 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I bought a Nutribullet 5 days ago.
    Now making smoothies with fruit and protein powder.

Wish i had done this at the start, its one of the best things i ever bought!

Fast hit of a bundle of nutrients, and protein to make up the numbers. It makes me feel full too :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Well, it's not a valid comparison to look at the price per pound of something dehydrated to something not.

There's 22 g of protein in 100 g of "Beef, short loin, porterhouse steak, separable lean only, trimmed to 1/8" fat, all grades, raw" and 20 g of protein in only 23.3 grams of my protein powder.

Fine, here's one that's apples to apples.
    Myprotein Impact Whey: $15.99 per kg (though it can often be had on their site for $12.99 per kg)
    Quest: their price would translate to about 44.00 per kg, assuming you bought the bigger tub.

Exact same macros, and if you really want to niggle over the fact that Quest is a blended protein, Mypro also sells a straight Casien that costs less than Quest by over half again. So yeah, that flavor will never be worth a 2-300% price increase for me, especially given how much of the stuff I use.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

OK...if you really like to yo-yo, but...I love those things too, I just prefer to fit them into my goals. I actually got Mc Donald's in last night and still had some left over cals.

You don't need to be a body-builder to supplement. Many do it, the protein of choice is up to you.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use protein powders and weight lifting is pretty far away from anything I do. I'm an elliptical and yoga girl and I sometimes struggle getting my protein in. Protein powder added to smoothies is super helpful and keeps me satisfied for a long time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    This is my 5th time back at MFP (I yo-yo). I am doing my low carb diet with some light jogging.

Q: Do any non-body builders supplement with a protein shake (like 6 star) to reach their daily goals and control hunger?

1500 cal
    Carb 113g
    Fat 50g
    Protein 150g

Avoid 6 Star if you are going to supplement they are actually being sued by another company for false advertising because they use cheap amino acids like creatine and taurine to increase the nitrogen content and make it look like they have more protein. https://medium.com/@anthonyroberts/iovate-muscletech-settles-amino-spiking-lawsuit-for-2-5-million-2779b92fead9

Look at the contents of the protein if you go that way and you'll see that many companies add these cheap aminos and not just Muscle Tech. Caveat emptor!
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try them again, I stopped because it seemed like after i would drink a smoothie about an hour later i would be starving.. I am using Jay Robb protein powder, strawberries and greek yogurt smoothie. But can you just mix the protein powder with water or almond milk for less calories?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I am going to have to try them again, I stopped because it seemed like after i would drink a smoothie about an hour later i would be starving.. I am using Jay Robb protein powder, strawberries and greek yogurt smoothie. But can you just mix the protein powder with water or almond milk for less calories?

Liquid calories don't satiate like solid calories so your experience would be expected here.

• Gallowmere1984
    Options

1500 cal
    Carb 113g
    Fat 50g
    Protein 150g

Avoid 6 Star if you are going to supplement they are actually being sued by another company for false advertising because they use cheap amino acids like creatine and taurine to increase the nitrogen content and make it look like they have more protein. https://medium.com/@anthonyroberts/iovate-muscletech-settles-amino-spiking-lawsuit-for-2-5-million-2779b92fead9

Look at the contents of the protein if you go that way and you'll see that many companies add these cheap aminos and not just Muscle Tech. Caveat emptor!

The hilarious part is that they aren't even the worst offender. Check out labdoor.com for protein assays.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited September 2016
    Options

1500 cal
    Carb 113g
    Fat 50g
    Protein 150g

The hilarious part is that they aren't even the worst offender. Check out labdoor.com for protein assays.

Great site as is My Protein. BBC did an expose on the supplement industry and tested one brand that claimed 98% but had a mere 1% protein -- flour has 3%!