Can you help these arms? =/ Please

Options
Mlmr310
Mlmr310 Posts: 52 Member
Ok, So I have been going to the gym and doing great at cardio. I was told the other day that I needed to start doing something with my arms. I am not even sure how to put a workout together for my arms. I have been searching online and cant find anything. I have really flabby arms. =/ Like so much so, that I feel like ALL of my weight is in my arms =( If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can put a workout together for my arms I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Look at new rules of lifting, starting strength, you are your own gym...
    Bodybuilding.com has some beginners routines, so does nerd fitness etc.

I suggest a full body approach - seen as you cannot spot reduce, and you want to look decently proportioned.

Just keep in mind, exercise and strength training will help with cardiovascular fitness and muscle tone - losing fat is entirely done through a calorie deficit, which means to get rid of the flab, you have to watch what you eat.

Good luck :-)
  • Mlmr310
    Options
    Thank you! Yes, I am sticking to my calorie intake that myfitnesspal created for me. =)
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a workout for arms to reduce fat.

Exercise burns calories. Not fat. And the only way to reduce fat is eating less than you burn. The best exercise for this is whatever is most intense and uses the most muscle groups. Arms are small muscle groups.. So exercising them as a focus is pointless. Stick to full body movements and routines.
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Look at new rules of lifting, starting strength, you are your own gym...
    Bodybuilding.com has some beginners routines, so does nerd fitness etc.

I suggest a full body approach - seen as you cannot spot reduce, and you want to look decently proportioned.

Just keep in mind, exercise and strength training will help with cardiovascular fitness and muscle tone - losing fat is entirely done through a calorie deficit, which means to get rid of the flab, you have to watch what you eat.

Good luck :-)

totally agree! a whole-body approach is the way to go. sounds like you've got your nutrition plan under control, which is an excellent first step :)

strength training is the only thing that works to lend a more defined look to my arms (and abs, and glutes). my arms are always thinner when i weigh less and larger when i weigh more, but they usually just look soft and a little flabby to me unless i'm strength training!

right now i do strong lifts 5x5--no isolated arm exercises, just full-body compound movements--and my arms are getting better and better! they used to be one of my least favorite body parts, but as i lose fat (from strength training), the shape of the muscle comes through and i start to actually like them!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options

And, you know, push-ups. Can't go wrong with push-ups.
  • Mlmr310
    Options
    Thank you all for the feedback! I appreciate it all! I know about eating healthy and styaing under the calorie intake for the day. I guess I was more curious as to what else I need to be doing instead of staying on the elliptical for an hour everyday at the gym.

Thanks again! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

-Melissa
  • SonicaBE
    SonicaBE Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    google fitness blender and search for arm workouts....you will be happy!
  • sugarsugar16
    sugarsugar16 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have the same problem! Butttttt I have moved my workouts to the rowing machine for about 20 mins a day and have seen a BIG difference!! Maybe you can incorporate that into your routine at the gym as well! It works your arms, as well as the tummy and legs! Great cardio workout! :)
    Good luck and keep us posted! :)
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swings and kettlebell tabata - message me if you want the youtube links

This was less than 3 months

26eefc39-87c1-43d3-a7e9-3d079014b74a_zpsf8acd56a.jpg
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    exrx.net is a great website for exercises. It has a beginners page, exercise instruction etc. Not only that but it shows you exercises that targets different parts of the same muscle and it shows how to do the exercise.

This is one of my go-to sites when I am creating lifting programs.
  • nileighttig
    nileighttig Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I started a boxercise class and lost an inch off my arms in a month (1 x 50 minute class per week). It works all the different muscles in your arm and for such a small amount of time the results are amazing!
    Don't forget to update us on your progress :smile:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump for later!
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    As everyone said, spot reducing is not possible, but you can tone your arms--and cardio alone will not do it! You said you go to the gym for the elliptical, but will you workout at home? If so, a great circuit training video is Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30. It is a 30 minute, full body, circuit training workout. You will not be disappointed at your 4 week results. I've achieved all of my results solely with her videos.
    Good luck with your goals!
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Ok, So I have been going to the gym and doing great at cardio. I was told the other day that I needed to start doing something with my arms. I am not even sure how to put a workout together for my arms. I have been searching online and cant find anything. I have really flabby arms. =/ Like so much so, that I feel like ALL of my weight is in my arms =( If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can put a workout together for my arms I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

OMGosh!!! Pick me! Pick me!! Here's my arm workout:

barbell Bicep curls (60lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps) - use the weight that works best for you!
    Barbell Standing Military Press (40lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps)
    Dumbbell Tricep kickbacks (15lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps)
    Old-school pushups - do as many as you can in 30 seconds, three times. with a resting time of 45 seconds in between sets.
    Dumbbell Shrugs - 25lbs, 3 sets of 12 reps - this is my FAV...it sculps the shoulders so nicely and helps build those traps!

Start slowly...build up and enjoy the results!! :)
  • smaltowngurl
    Options
    There is a few tricks i have learned like while doing a cardio routine use little dumbells i started with soup cans and it seems silly but that shake weight was given to me and its a short 5 min i think routine you do a few times a day and yes u can feel the burn it helpep me tighten my arms and i have seen them at the store for around $10