What would you do?

Options
There was a mix up at my house and someone muddled up my training plan which was stuck to the fridge with another one from the same article which was more advanced. I was following it for weeks so now I'm injured and ahead of myself in training. I should be starting two weeks with a long run of 12 miles where I actually just finished two weeks at that distance. That on top of being injured has left me confused, how long do I take off (it's hip pain on one side) do I take the two weeks off or less? Thanks for your input

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Hip pain? Did you see a doctor? What did they say?
  • deegrimes95
    deegrimes95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Didn't see the doc, last time I saw her for a running injury she sent me to someone who's advice was to stop running! Not what I needed to hear, even my doc agreed that was bad advice. So I am reluctant to go back now so I am just resting it, icing it and I just took an anti inflammatory.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I had hip pain from running and the advice to me was to stop running in which I did. 6 months of no running and I am finally feeling better. Either keep running in hopes it goes away or rest. Could you swim instead or walk?
  • deegrimes95
    Options
    Can't swim but I could walk if the worst comes to the worst, not the same kick though! I've been resting it now for two days and no let up from the pain yet, I suppose I need to give it another few days?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Is it continuous pain or just pain when you run? How do you think you injured it?

I'd recommend focusing on other modalities such as mobility, upper body strength, etc. And get active rest for the hip. Once the pain subsides you may be able to do some training, but back off from where you were.

Going forward, you should never increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%. And consider taking deload/recovery weeks every other month.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer,
    Host of the 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • deegrimes95
    Options
    Hi Allan, the pain is continuous but it's worse during certain activities like going upstairs. You are probably right, I went from an 8 mile long run to a 12 mile, I'm crap at maths but I'd say that's more than 10% so I'm not sure what distance I should be doing when I go back running, more than 12 or less? Thanks for your help