I need honest opinions about Weight Watchers

Options
2»

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    WW is just a less accurate form of counting calories and I don't like their foods- I say just do myfitnesspal and maybe start a group here where you all weigh in on a certain day and discuss your progress. I joined a post called "this is my year" and we "weigh in" on Saturdays. I also have added many friends and we support each other in our myfitnesspal feed. This way it's free, more effective, and you still get the accountability & comeraderie.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I like knowing how many calories I'm eating versus points. I have a friend who switched from MFP to WW. I didn't really understand why because she was having success here. She still posts her foods on social media and it seems like she doesnt eat much, but i cant really know that unless i was with her 24/7. For myself personally the only person I need for accountability is myself because that's the only way I'll stick to the changes.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I was wondering what everyone’s honest opinion is about Weight Watchers. My work is offering WW to it’s employees with a full reimbursement, plus $100 bonus if you lose 8% of our starting weight. I went to the open house meeting and here are the things that stuck out to me as odd…

- The point system in general: It’s based on calories, so why not just count calories?
    - You don’t count “points” for fruit: Fruit is worth 0 points. This is odd to me considering a banana can be 150 calories
    - You RECEIVE extra points if you consume lean proteins: Maybe I misunderstood this, but it seems to me that you gain points for eating chicken?
    - Weight Watcher brand foods are garbage: The ingredients are nothing but processed junk and empty calories.

The only reason I’d consider joining is for the accountability and camaraderie. Maybe I’m just thinking to hard about this? Can anyone offer their personal experiences with WW?

The point system actually doesn't use calories per se. It uses different ratios considering carbs, protein, fat and now sugar I think.

You don't generally count for fruit and veggies until you've had about 5 servings. And then you do need to. Also if you put them in a recipe you're supposed to count them.

The receiving extra points for lean meats... that's new since I did WW. That makes no sense to me.

I never tried the WW brand foods.

Their website is pretty. I did lose weight on their Points+ system. However, since I'm not big into fruit and didn't take enough advantage of the free fruits, their system essentially had me on 1100 calories a day (at 5' 6" and 155 lb, 25 y/o female). I lost 25 lbs on their system. I ended up giving up my membership at the same time as my friend did (ok, she was using the online membership and I was just bumming off it and paying for half her fees LOL).

It's not quite as easy to guess points as it is to guess calories (for me). And WW will cancel your membership and throw you to the "wolves" in certain cases. Example, my friend was booted off WW when she got pregnant. It was a time where she really needed guidance. They don't have a weight gain mode. They don't try to help people who need to have a slow and steady gain - for liability reasons - but still. She ended up gaining a lot more than she should have because the program didn't prepare her for life OFF the program if that makes sense. But, before she was pregnant, she lost a lot of weight. Probably 30 or 40 lbs and 5' 1".

Honestly, if it's free to join, and there's a possibility of a prize... I'd do it. Even if the program doesn't actually work for you, you can use MFP to lose the 8% weight and get the prize anyway. And then you can decide if the program is worth it for yourself!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you're already here on MFP I see no reason why you can't just use the free tools provided to do the same and save yourself the money over using Weight Watchers. Programs like WW are designed to take the hassle of counting calories away so that you can simply keep track of a simple number of points instead. It's all pretty much the same thing. MFP might take a slight bit more effort, and maybe a little more self control but I say save your money and give it a try.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would join for the prize and perhaps motivation from friends, but I would still count calories on MFP.

The points system is too complicated (meaning, why convert everything to a different system when calories are so much easier), and you are correct that freebies and bonus points could potentially sabotage your efforts.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    My experience with WW: I’ve been off & on with it most of my adult life, with long gaps in between. My most recent run was 2008 through January 2016. I’ve done regular meetings, At Work meetings, and online only. I’ve had success. Why did I give it up?

A) I lost only 5# all of 2015. After they switched the program in November 2015, I was also constantly hungry & frustrated that I was rarely coming in at my points for the day, despite eating whole foods, lots of F&V, and whole grains.
    B ) Because I was working so hard and seeing such small results, I was afraid there was an underlying medical condition. My doc sent me to see a dietitian while I waited for my endocrinologist appt. She had me switch to MFP in DEC 2015 so she could check my totals on my visits, for macros as well as calories – the new WW program is proprietary so she had no way of being able to interpret the numbers to anything meaningful
    C) In late December, after dual tracking on WW.com and MFP, I actually hit my daily points target dead on, and caught up MFP at the same time. I was only at 930 calories! No wonder I was so hungry and emotional all the time.
    D) When I finally met with the endocrinologist, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance, and had to keep track of my carb and sugar consumption more closely. Since I cannot do that with WW, I gave up my membership.

The positives of WW:
    It does work, although the new program, which assigns pts based on sugar, protein, & fat (maybe fiber too?) is harder to handle than previous systems. The healthy habits, portions, and menu balance between food groups that I’d learned with their help made my dietitian’s job easy and she didn’t really have me make many changes, just lower my carbs & increase my protein a little bit. The WW buddies, even at a work session, can you help you stay on track where you might flounder on your own. You can learn from each other – tricks & tips & recipes. In your case, the extra benefit is the potential bonus and the fact that your company is paying for it.

The negatives:
    You cannot track individual macros; while they are used to calculate points, there is no way to see your daily totals beyond points. As someone else stated, after a year meetings tend to get repetitive. Also, your leader makes a huge difference – a good leader is inspiring and knowledgeable. Bad leaders only push the products and can make the whole process unworthy of your time. For most people, cost is a negative. They used to have great message boards on the WW site, but they got rid of them at the end of last year, so they don’t have as good of an online community as they used to.

As someone else stated, if you are working on losing weight anyway, might as well take your company up on the offer. There is no requirement to use the WW website or their formulas. Go to the meetings, keep working with MFP, and get that bonus!! Oh, and if you are just doing it to hit the 8%, don’t forget to wear heavy clothes and maybe have a few items in your pocket when you get on that scale for the official starting WI LOL.

PS: Yes, the WW-brand products are garbage and super expensive. I’ve rarely used them. Even when they gave us free samples, I’d usually give them away or save them for when I forgot to bring my normal healthy snacks to work. Don’t EVER get their food products, although some of their tools are helpful.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I did the old points system after my daughter was born (she's 12 now) so I don't know that my experience with the points will be of any help in your decision making. However, in the several years I went through the program I had about 5 different WW coaches and to me, getting a good one makes all the difference - I ended up quitting primarily because the last one was boring, plus I started lifting weights and putting on muscle which WW didn't have a simple way to account for at the time - I still have my lifetime membership but it's been a long time since I weighed in.

If you have a good coach you will have not only weekly accountability, but an awesome weekly brainstorming session where people will comfortably share the various tips and tricks that are keeping them on track or that have made them successful - this is pure gold, even if you don't use 100% of the tips, this is just such a great way to reinforce trying new things or different recipes or exercises, etc. People who are creative and supportive make such a huge impact to the weight loss journey.

If you have a mediocre coach who just parrots out what WW says or is critical of people who are creative and act outside of the standard WW answer, this can be really boring and people will not share as openly.

I didn't have any difficulty losing my 20 lbs and keeping it off...I started within their guidelines for healthy, so it was slow but steady, I'm about 10 lbs heavier now (and 2 sizes smaller) so while I guess that might be considered gaining some of it back, I call it a win!

I never ate any WW food or bought any of their other gimicky junk either, it's not necessary for success.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I did WW in 2012. It worked for me--I lost weight.

Personally, I prefer MFP. MFP is free and it is helping me learn how to eat for life. I didn't feel that way on WW.

I think it is down to personal preference.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    i am currently a weight watchers member. I have lost 30 pounds on the system. I love the accountability to some thing other than myself. I could not do it at home on my own. I don't attend meetings, I just get weighed. Something about getting on that scale and having some one else record my weight. It is not for everyone. OP you do not have to eat WW food. There food is very high in points (lean cuisine, smart ones)etc. They encourage you to eat more protein, fruits and vegetables. This new system gives high point values for sweets, some carbs and " junk food. Not saying that you cannot eat this stuff but you need to fit it into your daily points. You get more points for exercising. I use MFP because I like it, but I am more accountable at WW. Good luck
  • Ann262
    Ann262 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi Laura! I have done WW on and off for years. Fifteen years ago, they had a great program. Nothing was off limits. The points system was designed to steer you toward better choices. Veggies were 0 points. Fruit had a point value but was low. Low calorie/low fat sweet or salty treats could be found with a low point value (say 2 points). In recent years, they have changed the program. It really is not as easy to understand, easy to follow as long as you use their app. My real dislike of the current program is that, though, nothing is off limits, all "treats" have a very high point value-as other posters have said. I found it discouraging, when by day 3 of the week, I had already used up all my discretionary points and I would either would "over" or I would throw in the towel. Long story short, I joined in March and never lost any weight because I just couldn't stick with it. If you have 8% of your body weight to lose, (if that profile picture is current, I am not so sure you do) and you think you can do it during that time period and get reimbursed +$100, why not give it a shot? Maybe you will learn something valuable.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a current member and I've been trying it for about 2 months. I'm happy to share my opinions...

- The point system in general: It’s based on calories, so why not just count calories?

I think they do this for people who may feel overwhelmed with calorie counting? Also, the points are designed to steer you towards "healthier" eating, lower points for more nutritious foods.

- You don’t count “points” for fruit: Fruit is worth 0 points. This is odd to me considering a banana can be 150 calories

Yes, be cautious that you can go overboard. But, in general hopefully the lure of 0 points has you add more fruit to your diet for the benefits - fiber, vitamins, etc.

- You RECEIVE extra points if you consume lean proteins: Maybe I misunderstood this, but it seems to me that you gain points for eating chicken?

This is not true. Proteins are pretty low in points compared to other foods, but certainly not a way to get extra points.

- Weight Watcher brand foods are garbage: The ingredients are nothing but processed junk and empty calories.

Exactly. This is why I'm back on MFP. I'd like to focus on eating foods without a bunch of garbage added in order to make them low point or low calorie.

The only reason I’d consider joining is for the accountability and camaraderie. Maybe I’m just thinking to hard about this? Can anyone offer their personal experiences with WW?

There are things I like about it, but other things that I didn't like. The people are nice and supportive. If it's feasible, I'd say try it out and see how and if it works for you. Good luck!