fatigue

Options
2»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Listen to your body.. the reason you're tired is you need food for fuel. what you're doing currently is obviously not working.. don't listen to your trainer.. eat some form of protein and carb before your workout and some after. I made a "workout pancake" yesterday..(yes my own invention).. it got me through my workout feeling great.
    2 egg whites
    2 TBSP of oats
    1 TBSP peanut butter powder
    4 slices of banana

eat something like that..or even half of a tuna sandwich on whole wheat..

Well honestly if all the trainer said was "eat more protein and less carbs" thats not really bad advice for a diet. It leaves out an important piece of "make sure you eat enough" though.

Honestly if OP was eating basically only carbs to the point she was getting 9g of protein in a day then her trainers advice was probably good.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    This may be completely unrelated, but I have been struggling with fatigue for the last two weeks, just as I struggle with it every fall when ragweed begins to pollinate. Allergies affect my energy level. I don't know if my body is working so hard to fight off the enemy allergen that it forgets to conserve energy to function, or what. ANYWAY, give it some time in case it's something weird like that. :)

I just skimmed the thread, but if you're eating 1550 and 30% protein, I don't see any reason it would be your diet. It is a change in diet, which could take some time to get used to as well.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Did they check you vitamin D level? Low D can cause fatigue (and achy muscles and joints) also. My protein is set at 30%, carb at 25% (although I am usually less) but I have a medical reason and do count calories. Everyone is different to the bodies needs. I have had no problem with doing cardio after work (except if you count me trying to talk myself out of it, which I still can't come up with a viable excuse even though I try). Like a prior poster said you need to find your sweet spot with your macros, one size doesn't fit all.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thankyou for all you input. I am not saying I am on a low carb diet I am saying I have been recemmended to eat lower carb higher protein and I'm not managing it. Previously I was eating pretty much all carbs from bread and sugar. Today is the first day in 4 weeks I've actually managed to eat that much protein and yesterday I had a bad day and ate 9g. I have been finding the calorie counter on here easier to do because you just stop eating when it turns red.
    My specific problem is how tired I am. When I'm tired it makes it even harder to work out what I am supposed to be eating because I can't be bothered to cook anything. I just wondered if there was something that would help the energy levels.
    My personal trainer is not a nutrition expert he's a sports injury expert which is why I asked here. If I manage to have more protein will that make me less tired? The thing about carbs before a work out and protein after sounds like a simple rule that I would find easier to follow.
    Certainly things I *thought* had protein in them don't have anywhere near as much as I assumed!
    I will see if I can change my settings so you can see x

Your diary is now viewable, thanks.

How do you feel today vs yesterday? Today your protein and carbs are pretty balanced, while yesterday you had 208 carbs to 27 protein.

However, for today your individual meals are very unbalanced. I look at my macros for every meal and snack. If 1/4 of my plate is protein, 1/4 carbs or starchy veg, 1/2 non-starchy veg, and a little butter, my meals balance without fuss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    "I am not saying I am on a low carb diet I am saying I have been recemmended to eat lower carb higher protein and I'm not managing it. Previously I was eating pretty much all carbs from bread and sugar. Today is the first day in 4 weeks I've actually managed to eat that much protein and yesterday I had a bad day and ate 9g."

So the amount of carbs (not doing low carb at all) are not the problem with why you feel fatiqued. It is something else entirely, such as the deficit right now is too aggressive possibly. And 9g of protein is not very good at all. Perhaps the actual carbs and food choices you are making are making you feel lethargic, tired, low energy, perhaps you have no balanced nutrition in getting enough fats as well as the protein.

If plan to stick the deficit out, stick with the MFP macro default distribution and try that. Eat the number of carbs, fats and proteins until that "calorie counter" you mentioned are within a range to meet your calorie goals.

If this is not food related at all, you simply need to go back to the doctor and ask for additional blood work and further evaluation. This could be medical and the doctors have missed something. Always worth a try to ensure your health is in order before dieting.
  • kshama2001
    edited September 2016
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    ...I just skimmed the thread, but if you're eating 1550 and 30% protein, I don't see any reason it would be your diet. It is a change in diet, which could take some time to get used to as well.

She's supposed to be shooting for 30% protein but up until today wasn't anywhere near that. Yesterday she was at 9% protein, with lots of quickly digested carbs. I'd have been fatigued as well.

• Aaron_K123
    Options
    Sounds like your life is a sustained sugar crash that you are just now experiencing because previously whenever it was about to come on you just ate more sugar and now you can't do that because you are limited in your caloric intake.

More I think about it the more I think your trainer might have the right idea. Up your protein, lower your carbs...ride out this sugar-crash you are experiencing. Can still have carbs, but take them as fuel for your workouts before and after.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I find I have a lot more energy if I get plenty of fat (nuts, avocado, coconut oil, etc).
  • Calaus1
    Calaus1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for all you input. I am not saying I am on a low carb diet I am saying I have been recemmended to eat lower carb higher protein and I'm not managing it. Previously I was eating pretty much all carbs from bread and sugar. Today is the first day in 4 weeks I've actually managed to eat that much protein and yesterday I had a bad day and ate 9g. I have been finding the calorie counter on here easier to do because you just stop eating when it turns red.
    My specific problem is how tired I am. When I'm tired it makes it even harder to work out what I am supposed to be eating because I can't be bothered to cook anything. I just wondered if there was something that would help the energy levels.
    My personal trainer is not a nutrition expert he's a sports injury expert which is why I asked here. If I manage to have more protein will that make me less tired? The thing about carbs before a work out and protein after sounds like a simple rule that I would find easier to follow.
    Certainly things I *thought* had protein in them don't have anywhere near as much as I assumed!

One thing to check regarding logging is that some entries in the diary don't have the breakdown of macros. If they were entered by a user they sometimes only have the calories listed. Try to find the verified entries or ones that have the extra info.

I would also discuss your sleep apnea again with your doctor and make sure they know how you are feeling while working out. You said that it should improve with weight loss but there may be something they can suggest to help improve that now.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    So, I just looked at your food diary...no wonder you are hungry. The food choices you are making are not very nutrient dense. If you are going to low carb/high protein (which I'm against because it reeks of being a fad IMO) you need to actually eat lean meats, veggies, things that are filling and have protein, iron, vitamins, etc. You seem to be drinking some meals and then having either prepackaged or takeaway stuff. I'm not against those things, but the y are higher in calories and lower in volume of food. I'd be starving too if I ate what you are eating. I'd recommend you assess what you are eating. You will lose weight with any calorie deficit, but the goal is to do it in a way that doesn't make you malnourished.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Do you always feel fatigue or is this new. Do you have any other symptoms beside fatigue?
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Sounds like your life is a sustained sugar crash that you are just now experiencing because previously whenever it was about to come on you just ate more sugar and now you can't do that because you are limited in your caloric intake.

More I think about it the more I think your trainer might have the right idea. Up your protein, lower your carbs...ride out this sugar-crash you are experiencing. Can still have carbs, but take them as fuel for your workouts before and after.

Well said.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do feel a bit better today. It was a leaving do at work so we went out for food and I did actually go to the gym when I got home.
    The smoothie breakfast and cereal bar is an upgrade from the last two years of having a chocolate bar mid morning.
    I do find lunch difficult because I spend all day in the car. I can't heat anything up or keep it cool. It also.makes drinking enough difficult as I can't easily get to a loo.
    I have got new job which I start in October and I will have an office base with a microwave and fridge which should make life easier. Also I spend 2/3 hours a day commuting at the moment.
    The balanced meal thing is totally alien to me. I grew up with a mum who did slimming world food combining so you either had meat and veg or carbs and veg. I guess I just automatically do that. In the last few weeks I have spent two weekends at hotels attending weddings so I have eaten out a lot more than I would normally. I was surprised how much breakfast adds up to!
    One of the things why I am doing this now is that I have come off antidepressants after 6 years. The ones I was on made me drowsy so I would just come home take a tablet, eat some tea and go to bed.
    I am actually awake on a evening now, and I have been going to the gym. It's frustrating when you are there and motivated and your legs just don't want to go. My muscles just feel like they have done the workout already before I start.
  • lilac_bunny
    Options
    Calaus1 wrote: »

One thing to check regarding logging is that some entries in the diary don't have the breakdown of macros. If they were entered by a user they sometimes only have the calories listed. Try to find the verified entries or ones that have the extra info
    Thankyou I will try and do that
  • lilac_bunny
    Options

This seems to make sense. Is it better to just try and cut the sugar out rather than gradually reduce it?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The balanced meal thing is totally alien to me. I grew up with a mum who did slimming world food combining so you either had meat and veg or carbs and veg. I guess I just automatically do that. In the last few weeks I have spent two weekends at hotels attending weddings so I have eaten out a lot more than I would normally. I was surprised how much breakfast adds up to!
    Meal planning is just a skill like any other...it takes awhile to get into the swing of things, and it gets better with practice. One simplified guideline that may help is to try to get some protein, fat and carbs with every meal or snack. I took a peek through your diary, and it looks like you're making progress with your lunches and dinners, but you still have a lot of breakfasts and snacks that are really carb-heavy, so I'd try to focus on coming up with ideas for more balanced breakfasts and snacks. (I'm a big fan of making lists of ideas in advance, so that I never get so hungry that I'll reach for just anything in order to get my blood sugar up). Things like string cheese, jerky, nuts/nut butters, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and hard-boiled eggs are all easy ways to get some protein and fat.

I'd personally choose to cut out the juices, sodas and high-calorie liquids, at least in the short term. Those are all going to cause sugar crashes (if you're drinking them by themselves), and even if you're drinking them with a meal, it would be a better idea to save those calories for food rather than liquids.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

This seems to make sense. Is it better to just try and cut the sugar out rather than gradually reduce it?

Well if you stick to your calorie goal and up your protein intake while maintainnig your fat intake then by just doing that you have to lower your carbs. Switching from refined sugars to a mix of starches or carbs with fiber is probably a good idea to.

Thats not to say that you should avoid sugar entirely, just don't lean on it as your main food source.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    quite honestly, I don't see how you managed to go an entire day and only eat 9g of protein unless you just ate candy all day. Even bread has some protein.

I am wondering, like many of the other responses, if you are having blood sugar issues from all of the refined carbs you are eating.

I promise, if you balance your diet out, you will feel SOOOO much better.
  • lilac_bunny
    Options
    7 weeks in I am feeling a lot better. Tracking seems to have shown me the days I'm really struggling are more linked with my water intake than food. I still get days when my body just doesn't want to move but if I make myself go to the gym I usually loosen up and feel better afterwards :-)
    I did take on board everything people said and some advice in particular was very useful. Thankyou